Hillingdon Council: Putting our Residents first.
About the role
Want a rewarding job with one of London's most innovative Youth Justice Services?
We have one of the lowest regional and national First Time Entrants rates so must be doing something right!
"Youth crime is prevented because we, as a service, deliver positive and effective interventions which enable young people to lead constructive and socially responsible lives" is our vision and you could be part of a dedicated enthusiastic service changing the lives of vulnerable adolescents in the criminal justice system. Sounds great doesn't it? Don't just take it from us… feedback from our children, families and community say "my son is so much more focused now all down to you", "I wish we had the services that the YJS have given us sooner you have changed our lives", "if it wasn't for my case manager I would still be offending".
Hillingdon YJS are proud to be a diverse multi agency service that benefits from located specialists from key disciplines including Speech and Language Therapist, Liaison and Diversion, CAMHS, Education and Participation Officers and Substance Misuse that provide a holistic approach to rehabilitation all under one roof.
As a Youth Justice Social Worker in Hillingdon you will manage cases from Out of Court Disposals through to Custody utilising your interpersonal skills to engage with children, families and other professionals to deliver targeted interventions informed by assessments and reports. You will receive access to training and a focus on professional development supported by highly skilled managers alongside an attractive package of employment. In return you will bring the ability to complete assessments and write court reports to a high standard, co-ordinate and deliver tailored interventions using great interpersonal skills to engage children and their families.
Hillingdon YJS is located in the centre of Uxbridge with a purpose built, self-contained adolescent resource hub being built alongside the main civic centre. We boast a fantastic working environment, ample rooms to see young people, hold meetings and designated reception area. With Uxbridge Station just a 5 minute stroll away, 4 day a week car parking and easy links to main travel routes combined with great shopping and restaurants it's a fabulous place to work.
We are looking for an experienced, knowledgeable and skilled social worker who wants to invest their energy into achieving better outcomes for children every day.
- You must have a social work qualification
- You must have at least 12 months' postgraduate experience
- You must be able to evidence a commitment to your own development since qualification
- You must be registered with Social Work England
- Previous experience working in a Youth Justice Team is also desirable
What we offer
How will we help you develop as a social worker?
- As part of the West London Alliance and West London Teaching Partnership, Hillingdon has a PCF/KSS led training programme to provide all social workers with focused development opportunities.
- You will be surrounded by emotionally intelligent, dedicated social workers and leaders who model a "Children First" ethos. Every conversation you have will enhance your learning.
- You will have regular, reflective supervision and group supervision.
- You will be trained to use risk assessment tools and apply strength-based models of restorative practice to achieve best outcomes for children.
- You will be provided with equipment to assist mobile and flexible working.
- You will receive regular feedback from children and young people about your practice and how it impacts on their lives.
- You will have access to a clear career pathway with opportunity to grow in accordance to your talent and need.
We offer a range of Company benefits. These vary according to the business area and role but may include:
- local government average salary pension scheme
- free parking (4 days a week) if based at the Civic Centre
- a 36-hour week for all full-time staff
- generous holiday entitlement: a minimum 25 days a year (plus bank holidays), rising to 28 days after five years' service. For more senior positions holiday entitlements can rise to a maximum of 36 days
- career breaks
- flexible working hours
- season ticket loan
- access to a Credit Union
- access to a wide range of training and courses
- discount on a variety of Adult Education courses run by the Council
- payment of professional fees where these are required
- discounts at council-owned leisure centres and swimming pools
- cycle purchase scheme
- car sharing scheme
- 30% discount on green fees at council-owned golf courses
Interviews are scheduled for week commencing 12th July, however this may be subject to change.
We are committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children, young people and vulnerable adults. Applicants should be aware that the post will only be offered to successful candidates subject to an Enhanced DBS check as well as other employment clearances.