The Approved Mental Health Professional (AMHP) Hub is central to all Mental Health Act work across West Sussex making the roles within the team busy and varied. We work in partnership with both internal and external agencies to ensure appropriate interventions are identified and plans are put in place for the people who access our service.
In the AMHP Hub, we are a team of dedicated AMHP's who devote our time to promoting positive change, independence and wellbeing when working with our service users. We are not case holders, we are specialists within the field, valued by our colleagues and partnership organisations.
To join our AMHP Hub team, we are looking for skilled AMHP's who understand the legislation and are confident in signposting and making recommendations to help prevent unnecessary assessments and who uphold our service user's human rights.
With people at the centre of the system, we aim to ensure that an assessment request is the last resort and the least restrictive option.
About The Job
Salary: Grade 11 £36,922 to £39,880 pro rata (+£4,224 AMHP allowance Mon-Fri) OR (+18% enhancement of salary for weekend working and inclusive of AMHP allowance 4-week rota)
Working Pattern: Part time, 3 days (22.2 hours) or 2 days (14.8 hours)
Location: Centenary House, Worthing (required to travel countywide)
As a Senior Social Work Practitioner, you must be able to work autonomously and have extensive experience of delivering effective, efficient and high-quality social work interventions to promote positive change, independence and wellbeing when working with service users, carers and families.
As dedicated AMHP's we partake in the rota which is supported by our bespoke AMHP colleagues. Each day we have a lead AMHP on duty who receives, triages, prioritises and allocates assessments, and your responsibility is to ensure that peer supervision is scheduled and meaningful, as well as supportive for our bespoke AMHP colleagues.
To be successful in this role you will be able to work effectively under pressure, managing the competing demands of a busy service. You will be able to demonstrate robust and clinically sound triage skills using risk management and assessment models.
As part of this role you will be expected to allocate work based on urgency, risk, and priority in negotiation with other agencies and partners.
Experience and Skills
- Proven experience working in partnership with wider Mental Health Services (both Sussex Partnership Foundation Trust (SPFT) and WSCC), to enable early identification of individuals who may be deteriorating and plan appropriate interventions.
- Experience of triaging referrals, assessing risks, and prioritising an appropriate response.
- Able to undertake assessment under the Mental Health Act (MHA) and manage complex and diverse cases appropriately, including where appropriate making an application for admission to hospital.
- Able to prepare and present reports for mental health reviews, tribunals in respect of services users who are subject to detention under the MHA 1983. Undertake assessments and reviews for people on Community Treatment Orders.
- Experience of liaising closely with acute in-patient wards to enable early identification of people who may need further assessment and detention.
- Evidence of providing professional supervision and leadership to "spoke" AMHP's and student AMHP's.
- Lead initiatives in a developing service, embedding principles of good practice.
- Responsible for maintaining accurate, comprehensive case records for interventions and to complete all paperwork in connection with Mental Health Act assessments as may be required by statute, the operating procedures of the service and Professional Codes of Practice.
Qualifications and/or experience:
- Registered qualified professional (Social Work, Nurse, OT, psychologist).
- Currently authorised as an AMHP (Post-Grad Certificate in Mental Health).
- Extensive knowledge of and be able to apply, a range of complex and specialist legislation i.e. the Mental Health Act 1983, Mental Capacity Act, Care Act, Children Act and other relevant case law.
- Extensive experience of working independently undertaking MHA assessments.
- Extensive experience of working in Multi-Disciplinary settings.
- Experience as an AMHP with extensive knowledge of the Mental Health Act and mental health social work practice.
- Practice Educator Award or commitment to undertake the training (or equivalent).
- Able to demonstrate a proven ability (or understanding of the skills and knowledge required) to work independently as a senior practitioner managing risks and safeguarding.
Rewards and Benefits
In addition to working within a great team and a competitive salary you will have access to:
- 29 days annual leave + bank holidays with the ability to buy additional leave annually.
- Access to a generous, defined benefit pension scheme.
- A range of flexible working options.
- Training and development opportunities, including coaching and mentoring.
For a full list of the benefits offered to you as a West Sussex County Council employee you can find them on our Rewards and Benefits page.
The reference number for this role is CAFHE03093.
For an informal conversation or for further information regarding the role, please contact Kerry Abell, AMHP Hub Team Manager on 03302 225 517.
To apply, upload your CV and complete the application explaining the skills and experience you can bring to the role ensuring that any gaps in employment are covered in your CV. Please ensure you have saved the job description attached to the main advert on our website as, once the job has closed, you may not have the opportunity to download again.
We are committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children, young people and vulnerable adults. This post is subject to Social Work England registration, an enhanced DBS check, 5 years referencing and health checks.
For information regarding your eligibility to apply for this role under our Disability or Veteran's Guaranteed Interview Scheme, this can be found on our application help page.
Note for Recruitment Agencies: We prefer to hire people directly, but we do have a supplier list for when we need a helping hand. We'll be in touch directly if we need you!
Internal only: AC