Centrally located in the Thames Gateway, Gravesham Borough Council provides a range of services to over 95,000 people and 3,000 businesses.
The Borough of Gravesham, situated in the north west corner of Kent, covers 25,000 acres of the most varied countryside in south east England.
Bordered by the River Thames to the north, it is at the heart of Thames Gateway and has a significant role to play in the regeneration of a major government growth area
Gravesham Borough Council is committed to delivering to the community and working with us means you are part of delivering the level of growth and improvement our community needs and deserves.
The Front of House team are responsible for ensuring all customers receive a high quality service which reflects the Woodville reputation and is consistent with our internal customer service program.
The primary purpose of this role is to ensure all staff are carrying out their work in accordance with our set policy and procedures and to support management in ensuring excellent service delivery, dealing with any complaints immediately and effectively.
Working under the direction of the General Manager to ensure the building is operating safely and efficiently at all times; carrying out Health & Safety inspections, completing the relevant log books and taking control of any emergency situations, ensuring that all staff on shift are trained and understand their duties in the event of an emergency.
The Front of House Senior must be visible, competent in all areas of the front of house operations, an excellent communicator and authoritative natural leader who remains confident and calm in all situations representing the Woodville.
The Front of House department provides a comprehensive range of customer and client oriented services including:
- Customer and client liaison
- Duty management
- Health and Safety of visitors
- Liaison with external cleaning company
- Catering/Bar supervision
- Tours of the venue
- The gathering and dissemination of all performance information relating to events taking place
- All other ancillary related tasks
The post holder will make a significant, hands-on contribution to the venue and its users, including members of the public, organisers of events, promoters, and colleagues in other sections of the building.
This post requires a strong leader who understands and fully appreciates the importance of excellent internal and external customer service.
All staff at Woodville are expected to work for the common good of the business and must ensure excellent service and delivery at all times.
- Responsible to the General Manager for the day to day provision of a comprehensive range of efficient, effective and, above all, customer and client oriented management services. These include:
- Customer and client liaison
- Duty management
- supervision of cleaning contractors
- Health and safety
- Creating risk assessments for front of house areas
- Visits and tours of the venue
- Gathering and dissemination of all performance information relating to events taking place.
- Managing and rota-ing a team of duty managers, front of house staff, volunteers and sales and promotions staff.
- Responsible for co-coordinating the activities of other service providers to ensure that the needs of all customers and other users of Woodville are met in full, including providing monthly additional cleaning requirements to the contractor.
- Responsible for liaising with all outside organisations, visitors, hirers, agencies and promoters on all Event management matters and to, attend meetings on management issues (Operations team level).
- Responsible for providing clerical and administrative support to the management team.
- Assisting the General Manager with Woodville’s compliments/ complaints monitoring system and producing reports as required.
- To assist in the training of Duty Managers, Front of House Staff and volunteers.
- Responsible for carrying out any other duties as may be delegated by senior management within the overall framework of the job and given that the planned tasks fall within the post holder’s ability.
- Assist the management team and prepare in advance agreed event signage for all spaces, rooms, venues within Woodville, using correct templates.
- To be able to answer questions and queries from other internal teams e.g. number of tables in rooms, show timings/info
- Increase revenue/profit with five star customer liaison, delivery and up selling of ancillary services/products
Forward Planning of Events
- Check all clients requirements and communicate all requirements to relevant teams, e.g. room set ups, catering requirements etc.
- Manage and establish staffing requirements
- Prepare Risk Assessments where necessary
- Check sightlines and disabled access places in auditoria
- Agree location of camera positions, extra lighting, speakers, steps from stage etc
- Check & agree location of banners, display materials
- Collate requests from customers for visiting hirers
- Liaise with Promoters – arranging issue of monies due (cheques & cash), merchandising (organise selling space, provide seller if required & collect commission due), programmes, guest list, seating allocations, timings, Box Office reports and any other issues.
- Monitor photography, drinking, smoking in auditorium.
- Ensure any client using their own staff work in conjunction with our Front of House team and undertake their duties in line with our working procedure
- Be aware of any disabled patrons in the building re access & egress etc
- As Front of House Senior you are also the licensee's nominated representative, in charge of the building, and will have responsibility for the smooth running of all events taking place at Woodville.
- Responsible for ensuring all staff and users of Woodville adhere to all Licensing Regulations.
- Responsible for supervising all Front of House staff, volunteers and catering staff that are on duty during events and for liaising with technical managers/staff to ensure that all events run efficiently.
- In the event of an emergency, the Front of House Senior will be responsible for instituting and overseeing the emergency procedures.
- Responsible for organising and supervising fire drills as in accordance with predetermined procedures.
- Alongside or in the absence of the General Manager the Front of House Senior will act as host for visiting VIPs and will represent the General Manager on all matters relating to visiting artists, promoters, hirers and members of the public and will deal with all queries and complaints effectively and in accordance with company procedures.
- Responsible for issuing and collecting cash/cheques for some show related financial matters, e.g. the collection of merchandise site fees owed to Woodville and payment of guarantees owing to visiting artists and/or management on the night of performance.
- To undertake all training arranged, reasonable to position.
- To undertake reasonable promotion and marketing duties, relevant to your grade, which may include promotion events at other locations ,press events and launches.
- Any other work as can be reasonably required for the smooth day to day running of Woodville to include a flexible working pattern, including evening, weekends and bank holidays as dictated by the needs of the business – to be taken as time in lieu or if approved, overtime payment at the basic rate
Administrative and Financial
- Meet with clients to discuss their event requirements, including accurate charges, costing and related follow-up administrative processes
- Rota duty managers, volunteers and front of house staff
- Manage the front of house budget efficiently ensuring sufficient staffing levels within the budget allowed.
- Liaise with the cleaning contractor for additional hours ensuring that they stay within the budget.
- Accurately complete all relevant paperwork associated with any task undertaken- customer complaints, emails, stock records etc.
- Ensuring that all cash handling, invoicing and banking matters are handled accurately and in accordance with predetermined procedures
- Maintain accurate and timely records for all casual staff, including timesheets, sickness, absence and rotas.
Health and Safety
- Ensure staff are trained and wear/use the appropriate Personal Protective Clothing and Equipment required to perform any particular job safely; ensure you do so also when occasionally required
- Ensure and maintain accurately all health & safety administration relative to the post.
- Create Risk assessments for front of house areas..
- Ensure that all work areas are kept clean, safe and tidy at all times, initiating, auditing and supervising cleaning schedules
- Report any equipment faults, hazards, accidents or dangerous occurrences to the relevant person immediately
- Undertake health & safety training and the preparation of risk assessments as and when required.
- Be responsible for the safe working practices of staff and the safe use of equipment ensuring that codes of practice and current regulations are adhered to
- To adhere to all procedures, policies and practices both of the section and corporately.
- A commitment and contribution to the Council’s Equal Opportunities Policy is an essential requirement of the post.
- The post holder will carry out all duties and activities having regard to the provisions of the Health & Safety at Work Act 1974 etc. and in accordance with any instruction from senior members of staff under that Act, or any Council or departmental Codes of Practice or Procedures.
- Any other duties commensurate with grade as directed by the Service Manager.
Excellent written, verbal and interpersonal communication skills required for dealing with staff, colleagues and customers
Proven ability to make decisions
Proven ability to develop, improve and promote changes to services and functions.
Proven ability for creative thinking
Ability to adapt quickly to demands and readily accepts changing situations.
Ability to work on own initiative to resolve issues.
Knowledge of health and safety in the workplace
Working knowledge of IT packages
Knowledge of the arts and entertainment industry
Holder of Personal Licence (or ability to obtain one)
Holder of a valid first aid certificate (or ability to obtain one)
Customer Care Qualification
Proven experience in a similar position
Demonstrated experience within a commercial environment where focus was placed on efficiency, profit & loss
Experience of event management
Demonstrated experience within a customer service environment.
Professional approach to colleagues, team members and members of the public.
Successful team building experience with both paid and volunteer groups.
To work co-operatively as a member of a team
Excellent team player, with enthusiasm for change and development.
Flexible working hours as required by the business including unsociable hours, evenings, weekends and some bank holidays
In return we offer you:
Childcare vouchers and discounts
Government-approved, tax-efficient way of paying for childcare. You can use vouchers to pay for a wide variety of childcare for children up to the age of 16. Discounts at selected retailers in the town centre and reduced membership at local Leisure Centres.
A generous holiday entitlement, plus paid bank holidays.
In-house and external training including non-qualification, Continued Personal Development (CPD), NVQ and other qualification training.
Employee Assistance Programme
The Employee Assistance Programme (EAP) is a free and confidential support service, offering you unlimited access to advice and information as well as coaching and counselling where appropriate.
Available 24 hours a day, 365 days a year, the service is there to help you manage all of life's events and support you through the challenges. Their expert advisers are there to help,
whenever you need them. Support on the telephone, online and face to face.
Cycle to work
By working with us you'll typically save between 31% and 48% of the retail cost of bikes and accessories. You can find out more on the Cycle Solutions website.
A very secure pension scheme which both you and we pay into. More information can be found on the Local Government Pension Scheme website.
An on-site Occupational Health Advisor. We have an occupational health service provided by East Kent Hospitals University Foundation NHS Trust. The service is delivered by a team of health professionals who specialise in occupational medicine and deal with the relationship between your work and your health. Occupational Health also works with us to resolve any issues in the workplace and also to ensure that well-being at work is maintained.
If you would like to have an informal discussion with the recruiting manager contact email@example.com.
Applicants must be able to demonstrate all essential requirements as listed in the job profile
Equal Opportunities Commitment Statement
Gravesham Borough Council is committed to creating an inclusive work environment with a diverse workforce. All appropriately qualified candidates will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, gender, sexual orientation, national origin, disability or age
Please be advised that if you are not contacted within 3 weeks of the advert closing date then you have not been shortlisted. All recruitment correspondence, including interview letters and contracts of employment will usually be sent out via email.
We reserve the right to close this vacancy at any time prior to the closing date.