SUSTAINABILITY MANAGER (LDMA046)
SALARY: £33,782 pa - £36,922 pa
+ car allowance up to £1,239 pa
Closing Date: Monday 2nd August 2021
Interview Date: Wednesday 18th August 2021
At Mid Sussex are serious about Sustainability, it is one of our top priorities. We have created an exciting new post for a senior officer to shape and deliver this agenda; an inspirational leader, communicator and expert who will be at the cutting edge of Mid Sussex’s Green Recovery.
We are currently working with a range of expert consultancies to evaluate the Council’s direction of travel in its ambition to achieve its net-zero carbon target. You will have the opportunity to manage that work and set out the recommendations to support this target and act as a catalyst for our approach to sustainability and mitigating climate change over the next decade. You will lead delivery of these recommendations in an ambitious and innovative way.
About this key role
You will be the corporate lead and principal advisor on sustainability and climate change policy development and will:
- Develop and oversee the implementation of an ambitious action plan detailing the measures identified to deliver our net zero carbon target
- Act as an advisor to cabinet and the council’s management board on environmental issues
- Innovate and identify all funding opportunities required to deliver the actions detailed in the action plan
- Work corporately to deliver a range of sustainable key flagship projects
- Ensure that sustainability initiatives are fully aligned to the Council’s Corporate and Local Plans
- Showcase exemplar projects and initiatives to provide regional and national leadership in this field
To succeed in this critical role, you will be:
- Able to operate at a senior level and with a proven knowledge of policy, strategy and delivery relating to the climate change agenda including sustainable development, transport and behaviour change
- An excellent communicator having experience of working closely with senior stakeholders in a high-profile role.
- Experienced in leading teams to deliver programmes and initiatives and possessing a flair for partnership working.
- Experienced in working in a political environment and in realising funding opportunities to deliver key objectives.
About Mid Sussex
Mid Sussex District Council is a dynamic, forward thinking local authority in the heart of southern England. We have clear priorities and are proud that our service provision is consistently rated highly by the local community. Our priority is to work collaboratively to ensure the best possible customer experience for all residents and businesses.
We are based in easily accessible Haywards Heath at the centre of the largest opportunity for development identified in the Coast 2 Capital Strategic Economic Plan and the Greater Brighton City Deal.
We are a great employer to work for, situated in a glorious part of the country with outstanding staff benefits to offer, including free onsite parking, generous holiday, pension, agile working, employee assistance programme and you can also enjoy discounted access to a number of health clubs in the district.