WSCC operate a range of home to school and adults services transport routes across the County.
Our aim at WSCC is to provide a reliable and safe transport service to our residents ensuring consistency for all passengers and service users.
For more information about West Sussex County Council, please visit our WSCC About Us page.
Salary Range: £10.78 - £10.99 per hour (includes annual leave element)
Work Location: Drayton Depot (Chichester), Broad Bridge Heath Depot, Horsham and Clapham Depot, Worthing
Hours per week: Casual Hours (Split Shift: 7am -10am / 2pm - 5pm)
Interview date: across July 2021
Are you an experienced driver? Are you looking for an opportunity to help make a difference? Come and join the West Sussex County Council Transport Provision Team…
As a School Minibus Driver, you will provide an efficient driving service to children and young adult passengers following instructions in accordance with specified schedules to ensure West Sussex meets its commitments to customers with regards to services. You will undertake driving duties of an allocated vehicle of 4 - 16 seats to and from a variety of locations, using a high level of professionalism in a safe and appropriate way, being sensitive to the needs of passengers. You will communicate effectively with passengers, build trusting relationships and drive considerately in accordance with the Highway Code regulations.
This is a rewarding role, giving you the opportunity to broaden your experience in many areas in a lively customer facing environment. You will also undertake the following courses:
- Disability Awareness & Epilepsy Awareness
- First Aid
- Wheelchair tie down procedures
- Challenging Behaviour as required
Experience and Skills
You will be a positive role model in your interactions with children and adults using the service. You will be familiar with, and adhere to, the values of WSCC and be compliant with key regulations i.e. Health and Safety/Safeguarding, standards and procedures. Physically, you will be able to undertake all the required driving and maintenance aspects of the role. Most importantly, you will be able to work as part of a committed and dynamic team to achieve the shared goal of delivering consistent and outstanding service.
- Ability to drive safely and considerately in accordance with the Highway Code regulations.
- Ability to communicate successfully with colleagues and passengers, build trusting relationships and exercising persuasive skills e.g. to encourage service users to wear their seatbelt and stay seated on the bus.
- Ability to resolve straightforward problems e.g. route planning.
Qualifications and/or experience:
Ability to resolve straightforward problems e.g. route planning.
- Basic numeracy and literacy skills gained through education or through relevant experience.
- Valid UK driving licence including category D1 or PCV. (Desirable but not essential)
- Experience of working with people with disabilities. Desirable
- Experience of operating a tail lift/ramp safely and securing wheelchairs on the vehicle. Desirable
Rewards and Benefits
As an employer we recognise that it is our employees that are central to everything we do. We aim to create a supportive and dynamic working environment where employees can achieve their full potential, achieve a healthy work-life balance and are rewarded for the work they do.
For a full list of the benefits offered to you as a West Sussex County Council employee you can find them on our Rewards and Benefits page.
The reference number for this role is EIE00738.
For an informal conversation or for further information regarding the role, please contact Caroline Martin at caroline..