About The Job
Salary: £23,080 - £25,481 per annum
Working Pattern: Full-time (37 hours per week)
Contract Length: Permanent
Location: Working across Brightstar, Worthing, Breakwater, Shoreham and May House, Worthing
Interview Date: 3 August 2021 (Interviews to take place via MS Teams, Skype or equivalent)
You must be able to travel throughout the County including to locations that are not always accessible by public transport.
Here at West Sussex County Council, what we do changes lives.
We are seeking a passionate individual with excellent organisational and a strong customer service ethic and a "can do" attitude to support our Children's Residential Homes.
As a Bursar, you will work to support a group of residential homes around all day to day financial responsibilities. You will be responsible for detailed monitoring of Home's accounts, advising on the reason for an implication of variances and any recommendations. You will manage petty cash and ensure appropriate use of the Home's bank accounts, process orders and approve payments ensuring correct financial control is applied.
You will be required to undertake all required training appropriate to your role, including basic training in relation to communication with and care of children, including awareness of Team Teach which supports children to be safe and safeguarding.
To succeed at this role, you will need to use your great communication skills to liaise effectively with a range of customers and colleagues. You will be driven and committed to work independently and as part of a team to support the Homes whilst working to high standard and within agreed timescales, using your own initiative where required to resolve any issues.
Experience and Skills
- Ability to analyse complex financial information and draw sound practical conclusions and appropriate actions.
- Clear and effective communications skills to present information for managers and contribute to reports.
- Good numeracy skills in order to make sound and accurate financial calculations, working with an understanding of finance.
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team to support the Homes while working to a high standard and within agreed timescales, using own initiative where required to resolve any issues while at a Home.
- Ability to work flexibly to allocated duties as part of a small team supporting across the County when necessary.
Qualifications and/or experience:
- Previous experience of providing specialist financial service and relevant financial legislation and policies.
- Experience of working in a customer orientated environment.
- Experience of providing specialist advice to a range of people, including explaining complex financial information.
- 3 A levels at A-D (Maths related desirable) or equivalent qualification or experience demonstrating that level of ability, applied knowledge and understanding.
Rewards and Benefits
As an employer we recognise that it is our employees that are central to everything we do. We aim to create a supportive and dynamic working environment where employees can achieve their full potential, achieve a healthy work-life balance and are rewarded for the work they do.
In addition to working within a great team and a competitive salary you will have access to:
- 24 days annual leave + bank holidays with the ability to buy additional leave annually
- Access to a generous, defined benefit pension scheme
- A range of flexible working options
For a full list of the benefits offered to you as a West Sussex County Council employee you can find them on our Rewards and Benefits page.
How to Apply
To apply, upload your CV and cover letter explaining the skills and experience you can bring to the role ensuring that any gaps in employment are covered in your CV. Please ensure you have saved the job description attached to the main advert on our website as, once the job has closed, you may not have the opportunity to download again.
We are committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children, young people and vulnerable adults.
This post is subject to an enhanced DBS check, 5 years referencing and an occupational health check.
West Sussex County Council is an equal opportunities employer committed to promoting an environment that is inclusive and free from all forms of unlawful or unfair discrimination and values the diversity of its people. We actively welcome applications from people of all backgrounds and take every possible step to ensure that no individual will be disadvantaged.
For information regarding your eligibility to apply for this role under our Disability or Veteran's Guaranteed Interview Scheme, this can be found on our application help page.
Note for Recruitment Agencies: We prefer to hire people directly, but we do have a supplier list for when we need a helping hand. We'll be in touch directly if we need you!