Here at West Sussex County Council we are ambitious for our children and our workforce. We are committed to improving our services for the children and families in West Sussex we support. You will join us as at a key time on our improvement journey. The work we have started includes establishing a new and experienced leadership team driving forward our 'Children First' improvement plan.
We don't underestimate the work that still needs to be done and the challenge ahead. That's why we need professionals, like you, who really want to be part of the positive change that is happening. Be part of an ambitious improvement plan and make a significant difference to children and families in West Sussex. There's never been a more rewarding time to join.
For further information about us and about working in Children's Social Care at West Sussex County Council, please visit Careers in children's social work in West Sussex.
About The Job
Salary: £20,903 - £22,183 per annum
Working Pattern: Full-time (37 hours per week)
Contract Length: Permanent
Location: Centenary House, Worthing
Interview Date: 5 August 2021 (interviews will take place via MS Teams, Skype or equivalent)
You must be able to travel throughout the County including to locations that are not always accessible by public transport.
Here at West Sussex County Council, what we do changes lives.
We are seeking a passionate individual with excellent organisational and communication skills, and a "can do" attitude to support our Children, Young People and Learning Directorate
As a Children, Young People and Learning Coordinator, supporting the Family Support & Protection team, you will provide self-directed, proactive, and confidential professional business and administrative support. You will confidently support the work of social workers by updating databases, attending complex meetings to produce written records, and to provide assistance to senior leaders to enable them to deliver strategic objectives and key outcomes.
You will need to be proficient in a range of IT skills including Microsoft software packages such as Excel and Word. You will need to have the strong ability to concentrate over long periods of time to take highly accurate and comprehensive notes during meetings on complex and sensitive subjects.
To succeed at this role, you will need to demonstrate resilience and excellent interpersonal skills when dealing with vulnerable individuals or those with complex problems, and occasional challenging behaviours from those accessing the service.
Experience and Skills
- Ability to build strong working relationships to negotiate and influence across the organisation.
- Ability to demonstrate an understanding of risk and recommend appropriate course of action.
- Ability to communicate, both orally and in writing, complicated or sensitive information to a range of audiences to achieve positive outcomes.
- Highly accurate IT and keyboard skills, including Word, Excel and PowerPoint and be adept and proactive at picking up new technologies quickly.
- Good time management to manage short deadlines and conflicting priorities.
Qualifications and/or experience:
- GCSE English and Maths, or equivalent qualification or experience operating at this level of literacy and numeracy.
- A recognised qualification in office skills or administration, or a business-related subject at level 2 or 3 of the national qualifications framework, or have acquired equivalent experience within the workplace.
- Experience of providing business support, advice and/or guidance to others.
- Experience of forming effective working relationships.
- Experience of administrative tasks and processes.
- Experience of inputting data and using databases.
- Experience of working in a fast paced, innovative work environment, whilst remaining calm.
- Experience of applying relevant legislation, policies and/or procedures to individual pieces of work.
- Good, up-to-date working knowledge of legislation relevant to the specialist area of the post e.g. West Sussex Continuum of Need, working together 2015 and Children's Act 1989 - Desirable
Rewards and Benefits
As an employer we recognise that it is our employees that are central to everything we do. We aim to create a supportive and dynamic working environment where employees can achieve their full potential, achieve a healthy work-life balance and are rewarded for the work they do.
In addition to working within a great team and a competitive salary you will have access to:
- 24 days annual leave + bank holidays with the ability to buy additional leave annually
- Access to a generous, defined benefit pension scheme
- A range of flexible working options
For a full list of the benefits offered to you as a West Sussex County Council employee you can find them on our Rewards and Benefits page.
The reference number for this role is CAFHE03211 .
How to Apply
To apply, upload your CV and cover letter explaining the skills and experience you can bring to the role ensuring that any gaps in employment are covered in your CV. Please ensure you have saved the job description attached to the main advert on our website as, once the job has closed, you may not have the opportunity to download again.
We are committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children, young people, and vulnerable adults.
This post is subject to an enhanced DBS check, 5 years referencing and an occupational health check.
West Sussex County Council is an equal opportunities employer committed to promoting an environment that is inclusive and free from all forms of unlawful or unfair discrimination and values the diversity of its people. We actively welcome applications from people of all backgrounds and take every possible step to ensure that no individual will be disadvantaged.
For information regarding your eligibility to apply for this role under our Disability or Veteran's Guaranteed Interview Scheme, this can be found on our application help page.
Note for Recruitment Agencies: We prefer to hire people directly, but we do have a supplier list for when we need a helping hand. We'll be in touch directly if we need you!