Dartford Housing Services really values the contribution our staff make and in return, we offer the opportunity to ‘make a difference’ and go home at the end of the day with a feeling of accomplishment The Council is seeking a Private Sector Housing Officer to play the lead role in improving housing standards in the borough’s significant private rented sector by bringing empty properties back into use and taking action against rogue landlords.
Responsibilities include investigating complaints or referrals about empty properties and encouraging owners to re-use properties including providing advice and assistance and be responsible for initiating and leading on enforcement interventions. You will spend at least half your time dealing with bringing empty properties back into use; other duties will assist in the Private Sector Housing Team’s objective to help improve poor and dangerous housing conditions and to enforce or encourage improvement of private properties to safe and habitable standards.
The right candidate will have a good knowledge of building construction, detailed knowledge of the relevant legislation including Housing Act 2004 & Housing and Planning Act 2016, enforcement experience and be able to manage their own caseload. You should also be enthusiastic, organised and a team player who is looking for a challenging new role. You will be passionate about customer service excellence and will be a significant contributor to our vision of becoming the best Housing team in Kent.
Your duties may include:
- Investigate complaints or reports of empty properties in the borough
- Inspecting empty properties and drawing up schedules of work.
- Working with owners to bring properties back into use either informally or where necessary using formal enforcement action
- Investigation of complaints regarding housing disrepair, in line with council policies and
procedures, including using the HHSRS and where necessary take enforcement action
- Assist the Team where needed to inspect HMOs and Caravan sites for licensing purposes.
You must be able to demonstrate the following:
- Previous experience of working in a housing/empty property/ environmental health/ maintenance environment
- Working knowledge of HHSRS, including completing assessment and producing reports
- A building maintenance related qualification is desirable but not essential.
- Excellent numeracy skills;
- Confidence, enthusiasm and a flexible approach;
- Excellent administration skills, accuracy and attention to detail;
- Good keyboard skills and the proven ability to learn and utilise new software;
- Good customer care skills;
- The ability to discuss sensitive issues with our customers calmly;
- Excellent written and oral communication skills.
How to Apply
Please complete your application by using the apply button below
Do not send your CV – only fully completed application forms will be accepted