Human Resources & Organisational Development
Senior HR Advisor
Full time – 37 hours
RG6, scp 28-34
£32,234 to £36,922
It’s an exciting time for our HR service. Over the last 2 years we’ve taken great strides to modernise our offer; introducing self-service through a state-of-the-art HR System, transforming our resourcing function, embarking on a council wide leadership development programme whilst developing an organisational culture through our Team Reading values.
About the role
The Senior HR Adviser is focused on our Economic Growth and Neighbourhood Services Directorate and is part of a proactive and efficient HR professional team reporting to the HR Services Manager. The role will provide a generic, comprehensive and quality service to ensure the execution of HR policies, procedures and systems whilst supporting the delivery of HR interventions linked to the organisation’s HR priorities.
Key areas of responsibility include:
- Enhancing and continuously improving organisational effectiveness and employee relations
- Making a significant contribution at a corporate and operational service level through the delivery of key objectives through the integration of HR interventions with Directorate and Service delivery priorities
- Developing credible, positive relationships with managers and other client users of the HR and Organisational Development service.
- Providing advice to senior managers up to and including Directorate/Corporate Management Team level and attend Directorate Management Team and CMT meetings as necessary.
You’ll need to wear different hats at different times in this role, so it’s important that you’re adaptable and flexible in your approach. You’ll need to be an experienced HR professional, but also commercially savvy and a natural relationship builder.
- Significant HR experience (generalist or specialist) gained in a large, complex organisation with multiple stakeholders
- CIPD qualified (Level 7 Diploma in HR Management or equivalent), or have significant work experience demonstrating a similar level of attainment
- A thorough and up to date knowledge of legislation and best practice affecting employment, with a focus on TUPE in and out, and normal team restructure reviews
- Ability to manage and inspire a small team to deliver service excellence
- Experience of working with customers to identify needs and resolve issues without service disruption
- Good knowledge of legislation and best practice affecting employment including the Employment Rights Act, the Equality Act, Transfer of Undertakings (Protection of Employment) Regulations, Trade Union and Labour Relations Act, ACAS Codes of Practice etc.
We offer a supportive environment to grow and develop your career with the opportunity to put your ideas across. Innovation and ambition is strongly encouraged, and you’ll get a great feel for that working in our friendly and collaborative environment.
A competitive salary alongside a range of benefits including:
- Generous holiday entitlement
- A wide range of flexible working opportunities
- Modern working environment at the Civic Offices in the heart of Reading
- Local Government Pension Scheme (LGPS)
- On-site day nursery (Kennet Day nursery) rated outstanding by Ofsted, and a salary sacrifice scheme to help lower the cost of your nursery fees
- Season Ticket Loan - to help with the cost of your rail/ bus journey, to & from work
- Lease car salary sacrifice scheme allowing you to lease a brand new, greener car for three years. The monthly fee includes insurance, servicing and road tax
To have a discussion on this position please contact Stephen.email@example.com
Closing Date: 26th July
Interview Date: to be confirmed
Please note that the closing date is given as a guide. We reserve the right to close this vacancy once a sufficient number of applications has been received. Therefore, it is strongly advised that you complete and return your application as soon as possible to avoid disappointment.
Reading Borough Council is a Disability Confident Employer and is committed to the recruitment and continued employment of people with disabilities.