Are you ready for a new and exciting challenge? Would you like to work as the Communications Regulator in a unique and vibrant community set in a stunning natural environment? If so, come and join our friendly team of experienced professionals here in the beautiful Falkland Islands in the South Atlantic.
The Falkland Islands Government is seeking a suitably qualified Regulator to ensure effective regulation of commercial telecommunications services in the Falkland Islands. Independent of the Government, you will work with the Attorney General, who will deputise for you when required. Your primary role is to ensure that the exclusive telecommunications licensee is compliant with the conditions of their operating licence: including working to service levels in accordance with defined performance indicators and implementation of major service improvements. The Regulator will also however advise on policy and regulatory approaches, technical issues, industry trends and best practices for the development of a sustainable broadcasting and communications service / infrastructure within the Falkland Islands.
The successful candidate will have at least ten years’ relevant professional experience gained either as a national regulator in the telecommunications sector or in a comparable role in a relevant consulting or public service field.
You will need to quickly establish credibility with a wide range of senior stakeholders so a combination of high standards of professionalism, along with strong influencing and communication skills are essential for this role. You should also possess the necessary skills and judgement to manage unanticipated crises and pressing challenges while creating the space for longer term planning. An eye for detail, the ability to juggle multiple work threads and to work well under pressure are essential for managing what can be a diverse and a frequently fast-moving workload. Working independently of Government, you will be able to work flexibly and efficiently whilst being highly self-motivated.
Full details of the essential and desirable requirements for the post are outlined in the application pack.
- Initial Fixed Term contract of up to 4 years with potential for extension.
- Salary Range - £42-57k per annum; starting salaries will be dependent upon experience.
- Eligibility for a taxable 25% Gratuity, paid upon successful completion of the contract.
- 41 days paid annual leave (inclusive of 11 government and public holidays).
- Relocation Allowance to help with moving costs.
- Flights Package for you and any recognised dependents accompanying you to post for the during of your contract
- Government Housing for rent and a starter pack to help you get settled in.
How to Apply
For more information and to apply online, please visit www.jobs.gov.fk
Closing date for applications is 23.00 UK time on 25 July 2021.
If you have any questions about working for the Falkland Islands Government or would like further information about the role or application process, you can find contact details at the above link.
The Working Environment - Communications Regulator
Although the Communication Regulator’s office space, budget, IT and administrative support is provided via the Law and Regulation Directorate, the post technically operates independently of Government. You are however very much part of its social fabric and frequently work with its officers on developing matters. The Directorate has four services, led by separate service heads who each report to the Attorney General and are as follows:
- Legal Services provides general legal advice and support to the Governments of both the Falkland Islands and of South Georgia and the South Sandwich Islands. The team direct and conduct public prosecutions and act for Government in all legal proceedings and transactions. It also support the development and delivery of Government initiatives and projects by providing sound legal advice.
- The Registry maintains registers for property, births, marriages and deaths, local companies and charities. In addition to providing registry services, it provides a vital service to the community by ensuring elections are fair and the will of the people is freely expressed.
- The Regulatory team protects the people of the Falkland Islands by regulating Civil Aviation.
- The Legislation team carries out the legislative drafting function, which supports the Government by turning policy into legislation. The Statue Law Commissioner also manages the online publication of laws and a programme of law revision, and monitors UK laws.
Each of these services are crucial to the achievement of the Government’s ambitions.
Falkland Islands Government (FIG)
The Falkland Islands is a British Overseas Territory, with full internal self-government.
As one of the largest employer in the Falkland Islands, we offer many unique and fulfilling job opportunities across a broad spectrum of public services. Our responsibilities include those typically managed by central government, (eg, taxation, legislation and policy) as well as those usually managed on a local level such as town planning, health, social services and education. FIG also provides services specific to the needs of the Falkland Islands, such as fisheries research, power generation and the Government Air Service, FIGAS.
For more information about working for Falkland Islands Government, take a look at our recruitment microsite: www.jobs.gov.fk
The Falkland Islands
Set in the South Atlantic Ocean, approximately 400 miles east of South America and 8000 miles south west of the UK, the Falkland Islands are a small, thriving community with a British way of life, benefiting from good local services, a varied social calendar and an absence of traffic jams!
The Falkland Islands’ stunning natural environment provides an unspoiled landscape and amazing wildlife to observe and explore, including penguins, whales and dolphins.
For those with a sense of adventure, it provides opportunities which are hard to match anywhere else in the world.