An opportunity has become available for a Senior Social Work Practitioner who has enthusiasm, energy, drive and commitment to join the fast-paced St Richards Hospital Social Work Team.
It is an exciting time to join West Sussex County Council as we continue to introduce new ways of working in the hospitals to respond to the needs of the adult population. The aim is making a positive difference to the people of West Sussex. The Hospital Social Work team work within the Discharge To Assess model, responding within timescales to assess people recently discharged from hospital, assisting them with arranging any care and support they may need in the longer term. As our Senior Social Work Practitioner you will be responsible for effective leadership and supporting the Manager and Hospital Social Work team.
About The Job
Salary: Grade 11 £36,922 to £39,880
Working Pattern: Full time, 37 hours
Contract Length: Permanent
Location: Chichester, St Richards Hospital
In this varied and challenging role, you will work with both Health & Social Care colleagues to provide an excellent Social Work Service. In West Sussex we have a real focus on strengths-based approaches and community led support; both yourself and the team will be working hard to support people to regain their skills and independence following their hospital admission, wherever possible.
As an experienced Senior Social Work Practitioner, your focus will be on supporting a team of Social Workers and Assistant Care Managers, delivering statutory social work service. This includes leading on complex work, whilst being responsible for ensuring that key developments are communicated to colleagues, and business change is successfully implemented.
In the hospitals we are looking for a candidate that will be able to support and deputise for the Team Manager, building on good partnership working with health colleagues. You will work collaboratively with individuals and effectively into the future. You will remain up to date and complaint with all relevant legislation and adhere to organisational procedures, policies, codes of conduct and the values of West Sussex. You will also carry a small complex case load and supervise a small number of staff within the team, including supporting our duty function.
Experience and Skills
- Solution focussed with the ability to analyse complex situations and provide forward thinking strategies and solutions that consider a variety of possible strength-based solutions, balancing risks, resources and desired outcomes.
- Highly developed communication skills in order to influence in a multidisciplinary setting and communicate clearly and effectively to explain complicated information to a wide range of people and negotiate and persuade others to adopt a particular course of action that they may not otherwise wish to take.
- Ability to diagnose, research best practice development, analyse and interpret complex or technical information to make effective and robust judgements, and write reports which consider business implications and
- make articulate recommendations considering the broader impacts on the business.
- Ability to think creatively, innovatively and laterally and to adapt to changing situations in a measured and flexible manner in order to tailor the advice.
- Ability to work proactively as a member of the team to make an accurate assessment of needs and negotiate and implement effective plans and outcomes, whilst prioritising workload and meeting deadlines.
- Ability to be proactive in having up-to-date knowledge and understanding of changes in legislation and effectively lead and supervise others and to provide coaching and mentoring when appropriate.
Qualifications and/or experience:
- Degree in relevant professional or equivalent qualification e.g. Certificate of Qualification in Social Work or Diploma in Social Work.
- Completion of relevant post qualifying training.
- Registration with Social Work England and will be responsible for maintaining registration.
- Practice Teachers Award / Practice Education (PEPS 2 level), Best Interest Assessor (BIA) or Approved Mental Health Professional (AMHP) qualification.
- Expectation to undertake post qualifying training in one or more specialised roles, i.e. AMHP, BIA and/or Practice Educator.
- Knowledge of advanced theoretical social work concepts and practices, with demonstrable examples of dealing with a range of very complex issues.
- Experience of managing levels of risk within a caseload of complex safeguarding cases.
- Experience of effectively supervising and coaching others.
- Valid, full driving licence.
Rewards and Benefits
In addition to working within a great team and a competitive salary you will have access to:
- 29 days annual leave + bank holidays with the ability to buy additional leave annually.
- Access to a generous, defined benefit pension scheme.
- A range of flexible working options.
For a full list of the benefits offered to you as a West Sussex County Council employee you can find them on our Rewards and Benefits page.
The reference number for this role is CAFHE03176 .
For an informal conversation or for further information regarding the role, please contact Kelly Clark, Team Manager on 03302 228 180.
For issues or queries regarding your application please contact .
To apply, upload your CV and complete the application explaining the skills and experience you can bring to the role ensuring that any gaps in employment are covered in your CV. Please ensure you have saved the job description attached to the main advert on our website as, once the job has closed, you may not have the opportunity to download again.
We are committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children, young people and vulnerable adults. This post is subject to Social Work England registration, an enhanced DBS check, 5 years referencing and a health check.
For information regarding your eligibility to apply for this role under our Disability or Veteran's Guaranteed Interview Scheme, this can be found on our application help page.
Note for Recruitment Agencies: We prefer to hire people directly, but we do have a supplier list for when we need a helping hand. We'll be in touch directly if we need you!