We are looking for an exceptional Head of Service reporting to the Director of Public Realm
You will be a self-motivated, enthusiastic professional with strong leadership skills and a keen interest in the Highways and Parking. You will need a Civil engineering related degree, membership of the Chartered Institution of Highways and Transportation, and sound knowledge of all current Highways and Parking legislation and government strategies.
This is a demanding and rewarding role which will bring benefits to people who live and work in Croydon. Candidates will need senior management experience and a successful track record of delivery with relevant professional experience. You will therefore need to have experience of managing frontline service, contracts and sound financial management, be capable of providing guidance and support in all Highway and Parking matters. Just as important will be your values, attitude and approach, and the ability to work collaboratively with politicians, colleagues, partners and local businesses to ensure that our residents receive excellent services.
You will be a visionary and transformational leader with outstanding communication skills and the ability to work collaboratively to drive service change and develop partnerships. You will bring demonstrable experience of Highways and Parking management within a local authority context, working in an urban, multi-cultural environment. A track record of developing impactful, sustained partnerships to deliver and effective and efficient service.
Essential for this role:
- Chartered Engineer and member of either the Institution of Civil Engineers or Chartered Institute of Highways and Transportation
- Degree Level Qualification in Civil Engineering or relevant subject, or equivalent work experience
- In depth understanding of the issues covered by the Highways and Parking services provided by the council
- Substantial leadership experience in an organisation of comparable scope and complexity
- Excellent motivational and influencing skills and managing a large team of individuals with diverse roles across multiple disciplines.
- Evidence of success in enhancing and building the reputation of an organisation with customers and provider partners
- Experience of leading service delivery, of service improvement and complex budget management
- Experience in preparing and managing contracts, interpreting contract conditions / specifications and excellent negotiating skills.
- Proven strategic programme and project management skills delivering multi-disciplinary Public realm projects
- Support the Council to deliver the organisational priorities and its ambitions of delivering for residents
If you’re interested in this challenging and exciting role and would like to speak with Steve Iles, Director of Public Realm – please email Lauren.Bellamy@croydon.gov.uk who will arrange a call.