Consultant in Public Health Medicine/Consultant in Public Health
Location: Harrow Council
Directorate: People Services
Contract Type: Permanent
Working Hours: 36 hours
Closing Date: 24/06/2021
Interview Dates: 13/07/2021 and 14/07/2021
Salary Range: £70,584 to £77,895 per annum (plus annual market supplement of up to £15k is available for exceptional candidates)
Harrow is taking a whole systems approach to improving the health of the population of Harrow reducing health inequalities. The Director of Public Health is looking for a consultant in Public Health Medicine/Public Health to join her team to support this exciting agenda.
The post holder, working with the DPH, will lead on population health management ensuring that prevention and inequalities are firmly embedded in local strategies and plans. The post holder will have the skills necessary to work across organisations and be able to influence and advocate for change effectively. Co-production with the local populations at risk will be an important feature of this work going forward. The work will include working across the entire Council, NHS bodies and other partner agencies. It will also involve working with private sector, voluntary sector and community sector organisations that can impact on health and influencing the attitudes and behaviour both of professionals and of the population generally.
Within the overall work plan of the team, the key areas of work will be dependent on the post holder’s areas of expertise and interest but it is expected that the post holder will:
- Lead and co-ordinate health care public health/ population health management in the Borough of Harrow and the integrated care partnership. This will include ensuring that prevention is embedded in all strategies.
- Provide support to public health commissioning arrangements (including those for Health Visiting and School Nursing, sexual health services, drug and alcohol services and NHS health checks)
- Jointly lead the development of the of the Borough wide Health and Wellbeing strategy with the other consultant in Public Health
- Lead the health intelligence function including the JSNA and the PNA.
- Support the health protection function as necessary.
Harrow Council is the 12th largest London Borough and one of the most culturally diverse local authorities in the UK, making it a great place to live, work and visit. Located 10 miles from the city centre and just 13 minutes to Euston from Harrow & Wealdstone station there are great transport links via the Metropolitan Line, Watford DC Line and national rail service. It is easily accessible to the M1, M25 and A406.
The successful applicant will have:
- Inclusion in the GMC Specialist Register/GDC Specialist List/UK Public Health Register (UKPHR) for Public Health Specialists -This entails a masters programme plus further postgraduate specialist training
- Minimum CPD requirements (i.e. be up to date) in accordance with Faculty of Public Health requirements or other recognised body
- A Masters degree in Public Health
- The ability to influence senior members including directors and CEOs
- The ability to both lead teams and to able to contribute effectively in teams led by junior colleagues
- Experience of delivering successful change management programmes across organisational boundaries
- Experience of communicating effective health behaviour change or health promotion messages including through social media
- Strategic thinking skills with proven leadership skills and operational nous
- The ability to demonstrate and motivate organisations to contribute to improving the public’s health and wellbeing through mainstream activities and within resources
- In depth understanding of the health and care system and the relationships with both local national government
For more information, please refer to the link below.