Childcare Lawyer (Joint Legal Team)
RG8 – RG9 (scp 39 – 50)
£42,821 - £54,878
Full time - 37 hours
Would you enjoy working as part of a busy, friendly and well-respected Legal Team? The Joint Legal Team, based in the Civic Offices in Reading, provides a legal service in Public Law to the six Children Services Department in the Berkshire unitary authorities.
About the role
This role is focused in our well-established Pre-Proceedings Team that works across all six of our client authorities. The need to increase resources in this Team is driven by the recommendation in the final report of the Public Law Working Group. We are now looking to increase the focus of the pre-proceedings process as a means of diverting cases away from the Court or completing work before going into court proceedings.
You will be supported and managed by a very experienced Team Leader who will allocate you cases. We will use your skills to proactively drive cases forward as pre-proceedings does not work within a defined legal structure. Liaising closely with the social work clients as each matter progresses to a conclusion that meets the best interest of the subject child. You may be asked to hold some care cases to assist the larger Team.
If your level of experience requires it, you will have the opportunity to receive mentoring from a senior member of the Team to develop your practice. All members of the team are offered in-house training including advocacy courses and updates on the latest legal developments to keep their legal knowledge updated and in line with both national and local practice.
We are seeking to recruit applicants who will commit to the continued success of the team and to the high standard of service which we provide to our clients. Successful candidates will be rewarded with an interesting and varied workload in a friendly and supportive working environment.
Requirements for this role:
- An admitted Solicitor, Barrister or Fellow of the Institute of Legal Executives.
- Relevant experience as a childcare specialist in local government or private practice and have an excellent working knowledge of key child care legislation.
- A real commitment to this area of work.
We offer a supportive environment to grow and develop your career with the opportunity to put your ideas across. Innovation and ambition is strongly encouraged, and you’ll get a great feel for that working in our friendly and collaborative environment.
A competitive salary alongside a range of benefits including:
- Generous holiday entitlement - 24 days holiday each year plus bank holidays - rising to 32 days after 10 years' service, with the option to buy additional leave
- A wide range of flexible working opportunities
- Modern working environment at the Civic Offices in the heart of Reading
- Local Government Pension Scheme (LGPS)
- On-site day nursery (Kennet Day nursery) rated outstanding by Ofsted, and a salary sacrifice scheme to help lower the cost of your nursery fees
- Season Ticket Loan - to help with the cost of your rail/ bus journey, to & from work
- Lease car salary sacrifice scheme allowing you to lease a brand new, greener car for three years. The monthly fee includes insurance, servicing and road tax
For more information on this position please contact Stephen.firstname.lastname@example.org
Closing Date: 27th June
Interview Date: TBA
Please note that the closing date is given as a guide. We reserve the right to close this vacancy once a sufficient number of applications has been received. Therefore, it is strongly advised that you complete and return your application as soon as possible to avoid disappointment.
Reading Borough Council is a Disability Confident Employer and is committed to the recruitment and continued employment of people with disabilities.
How to Apply
Please apply online via the link provided.
Please note, we do not accept CVs submitted without a fully completed online application form.