Research & Engagement Officer
- Permanent post
- Fixed Term Contract/Secondment for 12 months
Salary: Band 8 - £29,577 - £32,233 p.a. plus a Market Supplement Payment of £5000 p.a. (to be reviewed annually)
37 hours per week
We are looking for a talented and customer-focused research professional to join our research and engagement team. We recognise the importance of knowing what people think about the work the council delivers and the city as a whole and we need an enthusiastic, highly motivated individual to support a range of projects with engagement activity.
The post will lead on engaging stakeholders from big organisations in the city to smaller groups and the general public through a range of research methods including focus groups, interviews and surveys, with most of the work expected to be delivered in person.
Research and engagement with our residents and stakeholders is at the heart of the council's approach to marketing, communications and engagement, digital customer experience and customer services.
If you are proactive, with a strong commitment to using your excellent research and insight skills to take the council forwards, and a real passion for making a difference to our customers, we want to hear from you. We're looking for someone with an all-round research skills across qualitative and quantitative analysis but most importantly we need someone who wants to go out and talk to people to find out what they think. This work could be conducted remotely via video calls and workshops while social distancing measures remain in place.
Managed by the research and engagement manager, the post is part of the wider marketing and communications team and works closely with digital customer experience team, the customer transformation programme and the city helpdesk customer contact centre. The post is based in the council's Civic Office headquarters, which are located in the heart of Portsmouth. We are currently working remotely as a result of social distancing measures.
The research and engagement officer role supports our research and engagement team in ensuring the council's marketing and communications activity is based on research, using postcode profiling software as well as original research tools to inform campaigns. The quality of our insight has resulted in award-winning and award-nominated campaigns, and we are proud of the role research and engagement plays in our team.
The post holder will support the development and delivery of large council-wide consultations and engagement activity, customer service feedback, and research work for external clients as well as supporting work around the council's citizens' panel.
The research and engagement officer will:
- develop and implement research plans to support a range of projects and campaigns, using a range of research tools including in-person surveys, focus groups, depth interviews and digital channels (this could be done remotely via video calls and workshops while social distancing measures remain in place) - this will range from a taking a hands-on approach and working directly with customers, right through to commissioning and managing research agencies
- support large corporate consultations, and lead on some smaller projects
- support the day-to-day running of the council's citizens' panel and play a key role in engagement events
- liaise with client service across the council to take research briefs and provide recommendations on how best to meet their needs
- gather customer data from multiple sources, analyse, present findings and make clear recommendations through concise reports and/or effective presentations
Who is the person?
The right person will have the following:
- Sufficient experience or a professional qualification in a research related field and/or a degree with significant social research content
- Experience, knowledge and understanding of a wide range of research tools, data sources and software (segmentation software experience would be beneficial)
- Proven experience developing bespoke research plans for projects and campaigns
- Experience interpreting and evaluating customer research
- Knowledge and experience of working with a range of data including both qualitative and quantitative data
- Proven ability to gather and analyse data, make recommendations and present findings
- Proven knowledge and understanding of customer relationship management
- Excellent numeracy skills, including proven statistical analysis ability
- Excellent written and verbal communications skills
- Ability to work with a range of stakeholders, establishing relationships, providing professional advice, making recommendations and presenting finding
- Proven experience managing research projects and a varied workload
- Initiative, enthusiasm and customer focus
How to Apply
Please apply online via the link provided.
Please note, we do not accept CVs submitted without a fully completed online application form.