Lewes District Council and Eastbourne Borough Council has undergone a transformation to adapt how we offer our services to enable a first-rate customer service which maximises the use of technology, integrating services and systems across the two Councils.
The transformation includes having a joint Development Management service which will cover both Councils’ Local Planning Authority areas. Both authorities also include the South Downs National Park, where we undertake the Development Management Functions in partnership with the that SDNP Planning Authority.
All of the above ensures that there is a wide range of planning applications to get involved with, ranging from the small-scale householder to implementing strategic sites arising from our Local Plan allocations.
At Lewes and Eastbourne we are keen to grow our own talent, and offer an excellent range of training, shadowing and mentoring, to ensure you reach your full potential.
As Caseworker you will have a crucial role in validating and processing a wide range of planning applications in one of our two authorities, with opportunity to work across both to enable a full range or urban and rural experience to be gained. The teams have been set up and your appointment will cement the team structure. Depending on your skill set, you may have a focus on processing planning applications or undertaking more administration related tasks such as validating planning applications, or a mixture of the two.
We are looking for an individual with commitment, a high level of energy who can continue to achieve excellent performance whilst providing a first rate level of customer service.
You will have responsibility for processing planning applications and/or administration tasks with support from your colleagues. Your key responsibilities will include:
- Managing and formulating responses to pre-application enquiries
- Evaluation, negotiation, recommendation of applications
- Evaluation, negotiation and processing of enforcement investigations
- Answering email and telephone enquiries about planning matters
- Validating of and processing planning applications
To succeed as Caseworker you must have competence in a variety of IT systems and packages, plus the ability to communicate with people of different social, economic and professional backgrounds. You must also have:
- A good level of education, includes GCSE (or equivalent) in English and Maths Grade C or above
- Excellent time management and organisation skills
- High level communication and presentation skills including clear, concise reporting and correspondence particularly concerning complex or controversial issues.
- It would be desirable if you could demonstrate previous experience in working in a similar role at another local authority.
We have a wide range of benefits on offer including:
- A flexible working environment, meaning you can work effectively in the office, at home or when on site
- An excellent work/life balance
- Local Government Pension Scheme
- Discounted gym membership
- Childcare vouchers
The closing date for the receipt of applications is noon on 25 June 2021.