About The Job
Salary: £20,903 to £22,183 per annum (pro-rata for part time)
Working Pattern: Full time, 37 hours per week
Contract Length: Permanent
Location: Various Locations
Interview Date: TBC (interviews will take place via MS Teams, Skype or equivalent)
We are looking for an individual who can work as part of a committed and dynamic team to achieve the shared goal of delivering consistent and outstanding care to children.
The successful candidate will need to be a positive role model in your interactions with children and those around them and be familiar with, and adhere to, the values of WSCC and be compliant with key regulations i.e. health and safety, safeguarding, standards and procedures.
Your main responsibilities will be to work within a team to provide a range of caretaking and essential facilities services to Children's Residential Homes and to understand and adhere to all relevant procedures including safeguarding. You will need to hold a degree of flexibility required with working hours and be physically able to undertake all the required repair/physical aspects of the role. This is a mobile role for which a County vehicle will be provided during the day to travel between sites and buildings.
Experience and Skills
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team to undertake a wide range of repair and maintenance tasks to a high standard and within agreed timescales, using own initiative where required to resolve any issues while on site.
- Ability to use IT to write emails, access information about the homes, complete electronic logs, etc.
- Ability to follow defined instructions in particular to understand and apply Health and Safety and safeguarding procedures.
- Ability to work flexibly to allocated duties and as part of a team within the homes to put the child first.
- Ability to communicate in English with children, staff and visitors to the home and to write reports and maintain records as required.
Qualifications and/or experience:
- Practical and procedural knowledge of a range of repair and maintenance tasks including basic plumbing, electrical and decorating procedures.
- Literacy and numeracy skills in order to keep records and update procedures.
- Knowledge of health and safety, fire and statutory regulations and requirements that will affect the job directly.
- Facilities and maintenance experience.
Rewards and Benefits
As an employer we recognise that it is our employees that are central to everything we do. We aim to create a supportive and dynamic working environment where employees can achieve their full potential, achieve a healthy work-life balance and are rewarded for the work they do.
In addition to working within a great team and a competitive salary you will have access to 24 days annual leave + bank holidays, flexible working and a generous pension scheme.
For a full list of the benefits offered to you as a West Sussex County Council employee you can find them on our Rewards and Benefits page.
The reference number for this role is CAFHE03091
For an informal conversation or for further information regarding the role, please contact Sharlene Vallance (Hiring Manager) at or Sue Wadey ( Hiring Manager) at or Rosa Siracusa (Resourcing Advisor) at For issues or queries regarding your application please contact
To apply, upload your CV and complete the application explaining the skills and experience you can bring to the role ensuring that any gaps in employment are covered in your CV. Please ensure you have saved the job description attached to the main advert on our website as, once the job has closed, you may not have the opportunity to download again.
We are committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children, young people and vulnerable adults. This post is subject to an enhanced DBS check, 5 years referencing and a health check.
West Sussex County Council is an equal opportunities employer committed to promoting an environment that is inclusive and free from all forms of unlawful or unfair discrimination and values the diversity of its people. We actively welcome applications from people of all backgrounds and take every possible step to ensure that no individual will be disadvantaged.
For information regarding your eligibility to apply for this role under our Disability or Veteran's Guaranteed Interview Scheme, this can be found on our application help page.
Note for Recruitment Agencies: We prefer to hire people directly, but we do have a supplier list for when we need a helping hand. We'll be in touch directly if we need you
For resourcing team reference only: RSi