Wirral Council has an exciting opportunity for a Finance Systems Manager. The post holder will lead the implementation and delivery of modern financial systems to support the achievement of the Council and its partners' long-term vision ensuring the Council continues to make the best possible use of its financial systems to deliver business benefits.
The role is responsible for the delivery of a solution-focussed, innovative, financial systems function and lead the ongoing review and development of the Council's business processes and procedures to improve effectiveness and efficiency. Key duties will include:
- Ensure accountability and control within the responsibilities of the s.151 officer under the Local Government Act 1972, in developing the Authority's Financial Information systems and business processes ' providing an appropriate information infrastructure to the organisation enabling efficient and effective financial management.
- Support the Assistant Director of Finance & Investment in ensuring the long-term financial sustainability of the Council through the development of a robust Medium Term Financial Strategy (MTFS).
- Contribute to the development of the accountancy service as a whole, including clients as agreed under contract or SLA through the Council's service planning and performance monitoring arrangements, delivering the necessary change management as required and providing advice to senior managers and members.
- Lead the financial implementation of the new Oracle Fusion system until go live in April 2022 and thereafter, support the implementation of other new integrated systems to ensure harmonisation of all the councils critical business systems.
- Lead the ongoing review and development of the Council's business processes and procedures and identify opportunities to improve their effectiveness and efficiency with due regard to compliance, integrity, risk management, confidentiality and commercial viability.
The ideal candidate will be a current member of Consultative Committee of Accountancy Bodies/Chartered Institute of Management Accounting or equivalent. Demonstrable evidence of continuing professional development (CPD) is also required. We are looking for someone who is able to think and act strategically across and outside organisational boundaries and drive forward change. Ultimately being able to initiate, develop and sustain successful partnership working, across the Council, ensuring the collaboration required to achieve shared results.
Previous experience will include developing business processes and procedures and identifying opportunities to improve their effectiveness and efficiency. We are also looking for experience in the implementation and management of Financial Management System (Oracle Fusion) in a large complex organisation.
Above all you will have adequate financial acumen to assess and manage risks to ensure informed decisions can be made and to maximise opportunities for the Council. Also showing high levels of commercial awareness, demonstrating an understanding of the changing face of the public sector.
Could you #BeTheDifference?
Interviews are planned for early July 2021.
This position will initially, in line with current government guidance be based from home. In future, the Council will be moving to a hybrid of working arrangements for many of our roles with a combination of homeworking, office and site working as required.
Please note that in accordance with the Council’s policy, employees who are in a formal redeployment situation will be considered in the first instance for all vacancies.
It is Council policy not to re-appoint any employee who has left under the terms of the Council's Early Voluntary Retirement (EVR) scheme or who have left with a voluntary severance (VS) package, unless in exceptional circumstances.
Applications will be accepted until midnight on the closing date.
We reserve the right to close this vacancy earlier than the specified date should we receive sufficient applications.
Applications can only be accepted through the Jobs page following registration. Forms received via the post will not be processed.
All applicants invited to interview must evidence their right to work in the UK. Details of required documents can be found by clicking the link at the bottom of the Jobs page.
The job description and other supporting documents will not be accessible once the vacancy closing date has passed so if a copy is required you should download it now.
How to Apply
Please apply online by clicking the link below