About the Council
Stevenage Borough Council has huge ambitions for the town and its residents. An extensive town centre regeneration programme is underway, along with significant investment in council homes and neighbourhoods across Stevenage.
All of this is being driven by a council with a co-operative commitment to working with its communities to improve lives, in key areas such as health and wellbeing, community safety, arts and culture, community wealth building and climate change. The council is also transforming the way it works to become a modern, agile and digital organisation. This is an exciting time for Stevenage and an exciting time to be joining the council.
About the Role
We are looking for an enthusiastic and self-motivated manager to lead our corporate policy and business support team.
You will provide a central role in supporting the Chief Executive and Senior Leadership in driving strong governance, performance and policy development across the council.
You will work across business units and with elected members to facilitate effective corporate governance and will oversee the corporate planning and reporting cycle.
You will also support your team to drive effective corporate policy and research support across the organisation and support both the council and the town’s recovery from Covid-19.
To be successful in this role you will have:
- strong knowledge of current public policy agendas and local government legislation
- a proven track record in corporate governance
- extensive experience of developing corporate performance systems
- relevant experience of driving change at a corporate level
- excellent leadership skills and the ability to take teams and colleagues with you
- an ability to develop and maintain successful internal and external relationships
- excellent communication and presentation skills
We offer a range of benefits to support our staff including:
- Pension Scheme: We offer a career average pension scheme, providing generous benefits upon retirement, as well as a lump sum and pension for dependants
- Flexible working: available upon request, subject to operational requirements
- Part time and Job share: all our full time vacancies are open to job share unless otherwise stated
- A variety of different types of paid and unpaid leave covering emergency and planned leave, maternity, paternity, adoption and parental leave
- 24 days holiday rising to 30 days (depending on Local Government service)
- An extensive range of learning and development opportunities
- Confidential advice and support on personal, work, family and relationship issues, 24/7, from our Employee Assistance Programme
- Season ticket loans and discounts for public transport
- Cycle to Work scheme
- Stevenage Credit Union: secure savings, free life insurance and access to cheap loans
- Employee Discounts: via monthly paid membership of the Civil Service Sports Council (CSSC)
- Discounted Health and Fitness membership at SLL
- Trade Unions: For a small fee, all employees have the opportunity to join a Trade Union.
How to Apply
Please apply online via the link provided.
Please note, we do not accept CV’s submitted without a fully completed online application form.