Housing Estate Warden (2)
Full time 37 hours
RG5b, scp 22-25
£27,041 - £29,577
This team provides a high-profile presence on Housing estates, making those who live, work and visit feel safe and welcome. Your role will be to establish a recognised local presence and contact point to improve the quality of life for residents.
About the role
Actively support resident engagement and participation to encourage residents to take responsibility and ownership for the improvement of their local environment. The emphasis will be on achieving resident commitment to develop and deliver improvements, focusing on the 'quality of life' issues – graffiti, vandalism, refuse, recycling, estate maintenance and general environment.
Main duties and responsibilities-
- Having a high-profile presence on Housing Estate and to patrol the area
- Carry out appropriate intervention with low level offenders, i.e. those who are fly tipping, dropping litter, parking vehicles in restricted areas
- Report more serious matters to the police
- Challenge individuals observed in the act of vandalism.
- Report vandalism and work with the community to identify persistent culprits, gather evidence and involve the police.
- Check security of empty properties and monitor for abandonment/sublets
- Identify drug hotspots, gather evidence and work with the police
- Assist police by providing community intelligence and supporting victims of crime
- Challenge suspicious behaviour
- Investigate incidents of antisocial behaviour and nuisance. Assist in gathering evidence and where necessary act as an expert witness.
- Support vulnerable residents and sign post to support services
- Carry out surveillance of low-level nuisance
- Challenge owners responsible for dog fouling
- Arrange removal of abandoned cars and identify persistent culprits
The following experience is required for this role:
- Minimum of 2 years’ experience of providing a front-line customer focused service.
- Working in one of the following areas would be an advantage (Maintaining order, Crime prevention, anti-social behaviour)
- Complying with safe working practices.
- Working in a customer service environment, dealing with sometimes difficult customers face to face.
- Ability to work effectively as part of a multi-functional team.
- Working in partnership with other agencies.
- Pro-active community engagement work.
- Happy working in the evening to 9pm and weekend work on a rota (shift allowances)
- You will be required to wear a uniform that will be provided
- Must have daily use of own vehicle.
We offer a supportive environment to grow and develop your career with the opportunity to put your ideas across. Innovation and ambition is strongly encouraged, and you’ll get a great feel for that working in our friendly and collaborative environment.
A competitive salary alongside a range of benefits including:
- Generous holiday entitlement - 24 days holiday each year plus bank holidays - rising to 32 days after 10 years' service, with the option to buy additional leave
- A wide range of flexible working opportunities
- Modern working environment at the Civic Offices in the heart of Reading
- Local Government Pension Scheme (LGPS)
- On-site day nursery (Kennet Day nursery) rated outstanding by Ofsted, and a salary sacrifice scheme to help lower the cost of your nursery fees
- Season Ticket Loan - to help with the cost of your rail/ bus journey, to & from work
- Lease car salary sacrifice scheme allowing you to lease a brand new, greener car for three years. The monthly fee includes insurance, servicing and road tax
For more information on this position please contact Stephen.firstname.lastname@example.org
Closing Date: 10th Oct
Interview Date: to be confirmed
Please note that the closing date is given as a guide. We reserve the right to close this vacancy once a sufficient number of applications has been received. Therefore, it is strongly advised that you complete and return your application as soon as possible to avoid disappointment.
Reading Borough Council is a Disability Confident Employer and is committed to the recruitment and continued employment of people with disabilities. We seek the best talent from the widest pool of people as diversity is the key to our success.