The Young Person’s Homelessness Prevention Officer will support young people under the age of 25, in particular Care Leavers and 16 and 17 year olds who are threatened with homelessness or already ready homeless. The Young Person’s Homelessness Prevention Officer will sit within the Homelessness and Housing Needs Team but will also work closely with Children’s Services and other partner agencies.
Responsibilities will include:
- To work with young people who are experiencing triggers of homelessness, but are not at an immediate risk of homelessness, in order to upstream homelessness prevention
- To provide initial advice and assistance for young people threatened with homelessness
- To liaise with families, landlords and other relevant agencies in order to resolve issues which could result in homelessness
- To provide support to young people at risk of homelessness through sign posting and working with partner agencies
- To complete Joint Assessments with Children’s Services colleagues, ensuring that the service remains compliant and adheres to statutory duties
- To create Personalised Housing Plans which support young people in improving their housing options and link to education, employment, health and other support providers
- To consider and assess homelessness applications made by young people in accordance with the Housing Act 1996 Part 7 as amended by the Homelessness Reduction Act 2017
- To provide tenancy, rights of occupation, welfare and benefits advice to young people to enable them to either sustain their current accommodation or to sustain new accommodation
Relevant experience in frontline/ operational Homelessness Services is required.
Closing date: 11:00pm on 11 June 2021
Interview date: w/C 28 June 2021
For further information about this role, please contact Danielle Willmott on 07917 535537 or firstname.lastname@example.org
Wokingham Borough Council is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children and vulnerable adults and expects all staff, and other workers and volunteers to share this commitment. All successful candidates for this role will be subject to Disclosure & Barring Service (DBS) checks along with other releavant employment checks.
Wokingham is an equal opportunities employer.