About The Job
Salary: £40,876 - £43,857 per annum
Working Pattern: Full time, 37 hours per week
Location: Chichester, County Hall
Interview date: week commencing 21 June 2021
As a Project Manager, you will deliver a customer focused project management service, including provision of professional and technical expertise and guidance on project related issues in line with project management frameworks. You will manage the feasibility, development, consultation, procurement and implementation of major capital projects. You will work closely with other organisations such as the Local Enterprise Partnerships, and Districts and Boroughs to ensure efficient service provision. You will manage, lead and motivate project team members in delivering a professional service as well as manage consultants and design-and-build contractors.
Major capital projects, typically valued in the range of £0.5m to £50m, contribute towards meeting the County Council's strategic objectives for Infrastructure and the Local Transport Plan, and support economic development and accessibility to services for the customers in West Sussex. This role provides the project management for development and delivery of major projects, including highways or transport, within the Place Services Directorate. The role involves direct contact with Cabinet and local members at County, District and Parish levels, Government agencies and suppliers of products and services.
The role may require line management for a variable small project team, to meet objectives, deliver a professional service and manage consultants as well as working to/within corporate project frameworks.
Experience and Skills
- Advanced analytical skills in order to interpret and manipulate very varied and complex project information in relation to services/programmes required by the client. Excellent literacy and numeracy skills in order to understand very complex technical project information and contracts, and to check statistical financial information and other documents.
- Ability to organise and plan and meet set targets e.g. for timely completion of projects. Ability to forward plan over the long term, making effective judgements in order to continuously develop and review the effectiveness of service and staff to meet deadlines and objectives.
- Highly developed communication and interpersonal skills in order to interact effectively with a range of senior clients and create and maintain effective working relationships. Including the ability to negotiate solutions across wide areas of the business, influence clients to take a specific course of action, to promote understanding of technical project information that may be complex and contentious and to successfully advise and guide clients to make sound decisions which could have a significant impact on strategic service delivery.
- Strong problem-solving skills with the ability to anticipate problems and resolve issues independently, planning solutions and making sound pragmatic decisions which will have a direct impact on the business / service.
- Ability to deliver a demanding project management service. Normally demonstrated by evidence of supporting/contributing to high risk/high value projects and contributing into policy/procedural reviews and objective setting.
- Effective people management skills including performance management skills and the ability to provide direction and support to individuals and teams.
Qualifications and/or experience:
- Degree, or equivalent qualification or experience in Civil Engineering, Transport Planning, demonstrating that level of applied knowledge in researching, analysing and evaluating arguments and information.
- Project Management qualification (e.g. PRINCE 2) or equivalent level of experience demonstrating comprehensive application of the above levels of knowledge in a relevant setting.
- Relevant advanced theoretical, practical and procedural knowledge associated with operating a demanding project management service, including corporate project management frameworks and procedures.
- Detailed knowledge of all stages of project management to effectively manage the project process.
- Experience supporting the management and delivering of successful projects demonstrated by monitoring and/or managing complex projects effectively to ensure they meet customer's requirements and business need.
- Sound and accurate IT knowledge for the integral use of word processing, analysing and researching data, creating electronic presentations and the ability to investigate and troubleshoot system related problems and provide solutions.
- Political awareness when working with members/senior management.
- Significant experience in relevant subject area such as transport planning, highway or civil engineering.
- Experience of contributing to the development of business cases to assist clients in achieving improvements in service and of business/systems analysis or business process improvement i.e. process flow mapping.
- Demonstrable experience of providing professional/specialist advice on developing and implementing projects.
- Experience of supervising staff, contributing to the development an effective team to work together to meet objectives.
- Financial management experience with developed numeracy skills and having accountability for large budgets.
The reference number for this role is EIE00805.