Here at a West Sussex County Council (WSCC) we have a new opportunity for a School Resource Manager to work within our Finance Director on a permanent basis. The Finance Directorate plays a leading role in shaping the future of the Council, by being responsive to customer and stakeholder needs through an empowered, flexible and commercially focused team and by aligning resources to provide a professional service appropriate to future organisational needs.
This is in addition to keeping WSCC safe and secure through appropriate financial control. The Directorate will ensure that the basics are done well with emphasis on challenging the County Council and its maintained schools, to spend their money better, especially in the context of becoming more strategic and forward looking. To find out more about our services and what we do please visit our WSCC website.
About The Job
Salary: £47,351- £50,725 per annum (Prorated: £39,301 - £42,101)
Working Pattern: Term-time only (37 hours per week)
Location: County Hall, Chichester (Options available for flexible working and around locations)
In this role you will provide reliable, efficient and effective flexible support to the Schools team. This support will be of a high-level administrative nature relating to the delivery of a specialist financial service. This will include advising governing bodies on proper control and compliance with School Standing Orders on Procurement and Contracts, Finance Regulations and the West Sussex Scheme for Financing Schools in the management of delegated funding and resources.
You will also work with governing bodies and headteachers of schools in financial difficulty to develop licensed deficit budget recovery plans for approval, to monitor the progress of approved recovery plans and coordinate reports to the Schools in Financial Difficulty (SiFD) Group.
In addition you will contribute to the development and review of the West Sussex funding policy and formula for maintained schools, academies, free schools and other learning providers, and also the review of the West Sussex Scheme for Financing Schools, Financial Regulations and School Standing Orders on Procurement and Contracts.
Experience and Skills
As well as being a finance professional with experience of delivering a finance business partnering model, you will also need to be a:
- Strategic thinker - someone who can think beyond the surface of a task/issue and provide a strategic view and added value to the service we provide.
- Relationship manager - someone with the ability to successfully manage key client relationships.
- Critical friend - someone with the ability to challenge, persuade, negotiate and influence the service that you support.
In addition you will be able to demonstrate the following skills and experience:
- Ability to make sound pragmatic problem-solving decisions, which will have a wider service impact. The ability to provide comprehensive professional advice and support within the service specialism, including tackling difficult problems of a technical, professional, resource or people related nature.
- Excellent communication skills with ability to influence actions by others and negotiate effective business solutions.
- Research and knowledge management skills to analyse and make judgements based on understanding of principles.
- Ability to challenge existing practices and identify innovative solutions within the required framework and timescales.
- Effective people management skills including performance management skills and the ability to provide direction and support to individuals and teams.
- Good time management including travelling throughout county, occasionally to remote locations and outside normal working hours
Qualifications and/or experience:
- Demonstrable experience of delivering or co-ordinating a quality customer focused service to others.
- Significant post qualification experience in dealing with significant and diverse issues.
- Authoritative, applied knowledge of national regulations and statutory publications about the effective management of school funding.
- Detailed knowledge of practices and procedures relating to the delegated powers and responsibilities of maintained school governing bodies.
- Experience of managing/leading staff and influencing service partners.
- Experience of managing a small budget and/or contributing to financially related decisions on larger spends.
- Knowledge of MS Excel and comprehensive knowledge of either SAP finance or equivalent IT finance package. Sound and accurate overall IT knowledge including Microsoft Office.
- Experience of supporting initiatives in a political environment - desirable.
Rewards and Benefits
In addition to 29 days annual leave and a generous pension scheme as an employer we recognise that it is our employees that are central to everything we do. We aim to create a supportive and dynamic working environment where employees can achieve their full potential, achieve a healthy work-life balance and are rewarded for the work they do.
For a full list of the benefits offered to you as a West Sussex County Council employee you can find them on our Rewards and Benefits page.
The reference number for this role is CRS00456.
Closing Date: Monday 10 May 2021.
To apply, upload your CV and complete a cover letter outlining your motivations and how you feel you meet the key skills and experience required. Please ensure you have saved the job description attached to the main advert on our website as, once the job has closed, you may not have the opportunity to download again.