The service is based on the following principles:
- We will deliver services in line with the West Sussex Plan and our statutory responsibilities
- Our services will be provided at the statutory minimum level unless there are clear benefits for 'over and above' service provision
- Our services support community resilience
- We will use our resources wisely to ensure value for money
- We will put the customer at the heart of everything we do.
For more information about West Sussex County Council, please visit our WSCC About Us page.
About The Job
Salary: £51,764 - £54,823 per annum
Working Pattern: Full time, 37 hours per week
Location: Chichester, County Hall, able to travel across County
Interview date: 07, 08, 09 June 2021
As the Asset Manager, you will be accountable for the provision of specialist expertise delivering technical solutions through the management of a team of professional engineers. You will be working with engineering and highway colleagues and contractors to deliver the Works Programme effectively and efficiently.
This role will be responsible for the design, implementation and monitoring of engineering solutions which are appropriate to the risk, budget, environmental and technical need. You will manage the WSCC Street Lighting PFI, a 25-year, £187 million contract.
As a member of the Planned Delivery Service management team, you will be highly influential in developing future shape of the service, overcoming the challenges this presents and contributing to the longer terms plans and strategies such as the Local Transport Plan.
Experience and Skills
- Ability to make sound pragmatic problem-solving decisions, which will have a wider service impact. The ability to analyse and make judgements based on principles to tackle difficult problems of a technical, professional, resource or people related nature.
- Excellent communication skills with the ability to successfully influence and persuade others and negotiate effective business solutions. Sound partnership working skills including the successful co-ordination of partners to deliver objectives.
- Ability to challenge existing practices and identify innovative solutions, setting timescales and objectives, and reviewing effectiveness of service delivery.
- Effective research, evaluation and interpretation skills to derive conclusions and plan over the short to medium term.
- Effective people management and performance management skills with the ability to provide direction, leadership and support to individuals and teams.
- Project management skills including the ability to apply project management principles and practices to complex issues.
Qualifications and/or experience:
- Post graduate professional qualification relevant either to management or to the professional service specialism; or equivalent level of significant experience demonstrating comprehensive application of the above levels of knowledge in a relevant setting.
- Relevant chartered status of a professional body or equivalent high-level experience of involved practices.
- Expert relevant experience in Highway Signals, Crossings and Street Lighting assets, including sound relevant operational experience.
- You will have experience in managing significant PFI or similar contracts
- Significant post qualification experience in dealing with significant and complex issues.
- Experience of delivering or co-ordinating a quality service to others.
- Experience of managing/leading staff.
- Experience of managing a budget and contributing to financially related decisions on high level spending.
- Exposure to shaping and supporting initiatives in a political environment.
Rewards and Benefits
As an employer we recognise that it is our employees that are central to everything we do. We aim to create a supportive and dynamic working environment where employees can achieve their full potential, achieve a healthy work-life balance and are rewarded for the work they do.
Aside from 29 days annual leave, you will also have access to a full list of the benefits offered to you as a West Sussex County Council employee you can find them on our Rewards and Benefits page.
The reference number for this role is EIE00802.
To apply, upload your CV and complete the application explaining the skills and experience you can bring to the role ensuring that any gaps in employment are covered in your CV. Please ensure you have saved the job description attached to the main advert on our website as, once the job has closed, you may not have the opportunity to download again.