As a service we take pride in our work by valuing others, focusing on what's important so that we make a real and positive difference. Our values are outlined in our Ways of Working and our Guiding Principles and if they reflect how you are and how you work then this could be the role that meets your expectations.
What is the role?
- To provide administrative support in the General Office and Marriage Office and undertake general reception duties
- To deal with enquiries from both the public and outside organisations by telephone call, email or in person.
- To arrange appointments for members of the public who wish to register a birth, stillbirth or death
- To arrange appointments for members of the public who wish to give notice of marriage /civil partnership ensuring that the couple are aware of the correct documentation required
- To make provisional bookings for marriage ceremonies/civil partnership formations by telephone call or in person
- To prepare invoices for marriage ceremonies/civil partnership formations
- Taking requests for copies of birth, death, marriage and civil partnership certificates by telephone, e-mail and in person
- Preparing certificates for issue - by hand and by computer
- Searching records to locate entries of births, deaths and marriages
- Filing paperwork and registers
- Handling cash and credit cards
- Liaising with local hospitals and the Coroner's Office by telephone and email
- Dealing with sensitive data and situations
- Preparing the post
- Using in-house IT systems
- Ensuring that the reception and waiting areas are kept tidy and presentable
Who is the person?
You need to have:
- Experience and knowledge of administration and reception work
- Have excellent telephone and face to face communication skills. The person should also be confident in dealing with the general public with due sensitivity.
- Be able to work well under pressure and sometimes within tight time constraints.
- Be able to work as part of a team and on your own initiative when required
- Have a good eye for detail and to produce work to a high level of accuracy.
- Be able to effectively manage your time and workload
- Be confident using IT systems with the ability to learn and use internal systems.
- Be able to maintain a positive and professional attitude
- Have a good working understanding of client confidentiality, data protection and information governance.
- Have good numeracy and literacy skills
- A flexible attitude
- Good handwriting