Bevendean Hearing Support Facility, Bevendean Primary School, Heath Hill Avenue, Brighton BN2 4JP
Full time: 8.30am – 3.30pm 30 hours a week
Start Date: ASAP. Fixed term for one academic year. We would be happy to consider anyone who would like to apply on the basis of a secondment from their substantive job. If you would like to apply on the basis of a secondment please get the agreement from your manager before applying.
Teaching Assistant Grade B, scale 3 spinal column point 5 - 6. Full time £19,312 - £19,698. Paid pro-rata for term time working at 47.15 weeks per year and part time working Actual salary: £14,312 - £14,481
About the role
We are looking to appoint an enthusiastic and committed individual needs assistant to support a deaf child with additional medical and communication needs who is currently in Year One.
The role includes:
- managing the child’s medical needs, for which you will require specific training in tracheostomy care and management, as well as PEG feeding.
- Supporting the child’s communication needs through BSL and spoken English
- Supporting the child’s learning in small teaching groups in the Hearing Support Facility to provide focused learning, communication, and language activities.
- supporting the child’s learning in their mainstream classroom and interaction with other children.
The Hearing Support Facility based at Bevendean Primary School, is part of the Brighton and Hove Inclusion Support Service (Sensory Needs Team). It is a specialist provision for deaf children aged 4-11 years. The facility is currently expanding its team of teaching assistants to meet the needs of a growing cohort of deaf children attending the school.
For this post we need to appoint an enthusiastic and committed individual needs assistant to support a deaf child with additional medical and communication needs.
We provide flexible support to develop each child’s communication, language and social skills. For this post, BSL Level 2 is a minimum requirement. There are complex medical and health needs that will require additional training once the post is taken up
- are an experienced teaching assistant with NVQ2 or equivalent qualification or experience
- can demonstrate effective support strategies for individual children
- have BSL level 1 qualification and a commitment to train to Level 2
- are flexible and willing to learn
- are interested in working with children with hearing impairment
- are interested in working with children with special needs
- can work effectively within a team
- are keen to work in partnership with parents and colleagues from other agencies
- are committed to promoting inclusion then we would like to hear from you.
For further information and an application form, please contact, Ali Davis, and or Caroline Pound, Teachers in Charge, Bevendean Hearing Support Facility, 01273 605211
Closing Date: 11 May 2021
Interview Date: TBA
We highly recommend you read the ‘Maximise your Chances’ below before you apply for this job. It is important you are able to show how you meet the Person Specification when applying. Not following this guidance is likely to reduce your chances of success.
Your starting salary will be pro rata if the above position is part-time or term-time only.
Work Permits: This role does not meet the requirement for UK Visas and Immigration (UKVI) Points-based Immigration System. Successful candidates will need to evidence that they have the Right to Work in the UK.
Please note that this post is exempt from the Rehabilitation of Offenders Act 1974, and is subject to a Disclosure & Barring Service (DBS) Check.
We welcome applications from all sections of the community but particularly encourage applicants from a BME or White Other background as well as those who identify as disabled, LGB, male or trans as these groups are currently under-represented in our Directorate workforce..