As a service we take pride in our work by valuing others, focusing on what's important so that we make a real and positive difference. Our values are outlined in our Ways of Working and our Guiding Principles and if they reflect how you are and how you work then this could be the role that meets your expectations.
Who are we looking for?
We are looking for an experienced senior commercial property lawyer with a background in all aspects of commercial property work. You will have a good knowledge of commercial property law together with a commercial approach to all areas of your work. A willingness to be proactive is essential. Previous local government experience is not essential but would be an advantage.
What is the role?
To provide quality advice and support to all departments of the Council on a wide range of matters relating to commercial property. The role will involve working closely with a range of teams within the Council leading on complex legal matters, from significant capital projects to day to day matters - within the framework of the local government legal landscape. The role will also involve some supervision of more junior members of the team.
Who is the person?
You need to be;
- An experienced professional who can hit the ground running in this demanding role and who has good attention to detail but a pragmatic, flexible and commercial approach to problem solving.
- An individual with a proven track record of professional
- Able to work under pressure to deadlines and deal with unexpected
- An excellent communicator at all levels.
- Organised and able to prioritise a heavy
- Able to engage and develop relationships on behalf of Legal Services at meetings at Member, Chief Executive, Project Board and Director
- An individual with an understanding of working in a politically sensitive
- A qualified solicitor, barrister or legal executive.
You will also need to demonstrate tangible evidence of your experience and successes in at least one of the following:
- Landlord and Tenant Act 1954 Part 2
- Disposals including conditional agreements for sale and overage
- Site assembly and resolution of title
- Grant, renewal, assignment, surrender of commercial
- Development projects.
- The property aspects of academy
- Advising clients at senior level, as from time to time you may be required to represent and attend Council meetings and Committee meetings
- Working in a politically sensitive environment within local government
- Either some knowledge or interest in either procurement or charities law would be advantageous.
The successful candidate will be:
- Authoritative, proactive and persuasive in this challenging
- Organised with an attention to detail, as you will be dealing with a varied
- Expected to work within the timeframe set by your clients.
- Responsible and accountable for the delivery of your personal tasks and
- An excellent communicator with good influencing skills as you will be dealing with people at all levels of the
- Able to ensure your advice is understood.
- Able to supervise and assist other staff members in their professional development
- Consistent, supportive, proactive and
- Adaptable to the changing needs of the service and to support the Council’s core business
- Contribute effectively to the delivery of an effective, efficient, and excellent legal service, and engaging with internal and external
- An ambitious and creative individual able to bring fresh new ideas to set us apart from others.
- Committed to team success with a positive and energetic
- Take pride in your and our
- Able to promote and maintain effective working practices, such as compliance with LEXCEL accreditation procedures, working within a legal case management system and GDPR.
- Committed to delivering exceptional legal
Practising Certificates for Solicitors
You may opt into the department bulk renewal for the renewal of your certificate, however you should note that the Council does not cover this cost.