The Finance Team is responsible for upholding strong financial probity across the company. Through managing effective financial systems and accounting policies and procedures, the team ensures that the company maintains a sound financial position that will enable it to deliver its key priorities and drive the continual improvement of services.
We have a new and exciting opportunity for a leading role in the Finance team, the Head of Strategic Finance and Systems. This is a great opportunity for the right person and we are looking for bright, enthusiastic people who have the passion and the drive to make a real difference. You will be confident in your abilities to build effective working relationships with senior officers and external partners, and lead by example in promoting a working culture that reflects our values.
About the role
The Head of Strategic Finance and Systems, will support the delivery of the Medium Term Financial Plan for the whole organisation. In addition, it will play a leading role in an exciting change programme for the Finance Service, based on digitising and automating our systems to continually improve the delivery model to our service users.
As the Head of Strategic Finance and Systems for Achieving for Children, you will be responsible for:
- Transformation and development of the finance system and processes
- Monitoring and supporting the delivery of the AfC Medium Term Financial Plan
- Leading on the preparation of the annual Statement of Accounts and financial accounting
- Ensuring the effective delivery of high quality financial support and information
- Supporting effective project delivery across the company
- Building strong partnerships, maintaining relationships and co-producing solutions
- Leading a team, undertaking line management, performance management and change management.
We are a not-for-profit social enterprise owned by three local authorities (Kingston, Richmond and Windsor & Maidenhead), we offer the freedoms of a social enterprise with the employment benefits of local government. To find out more about us click here.
To be the Head of Strategic Finance and Systems In AfC, you will be passionate about making a positive difference to the organisation as well as demonstrating the following points:
- CCAB qualified or equivalent, with at least two years post qualification experience
- Strong background in financial accounting and the closedown of accounts
- Experienced in developing finance systems and processes and improving transactional processes
- Experience of Medium Term Financial Planning and monitoring
- Working knowledge of company accounting, tax and statutory financial compliance
- Experience in leading a team
- Ability to work under pressure and prioritise yours and your teams workloads
- Experience of building positive relationships and the ability to influence senior stakeholders
About our benefits
When you join AfC you will have access to:
- Positive and supportive working environments - We have a highly supportive working environment in which managers are challenging and supporting in equal measures.
- Positive work-life balance - Access to employee benefits and support forms part of our health and wellbeing offer.
- A competitive salary and access to LA pension scheme - Our salaries are benchmarked against other local authorities.
- A range of staff benefits and discounts managed via your own app - Staff can enjoy a wide range of discounts on sports and leisure activities and everyday shopping through AfC My Place.
- Professional reflective supervision - Regular, high-quality reflective supervision which helps to build confidence is available to all.
- Strong Management - A strong performance management culture, with an equally strong focus on practice learning is embedded across the organisation.
- A fantastic learning and development offer - A clearly set out and accessible learning and development pathway, offering an extensive range of training and learning opportunities is accessible for all. This includes funding for post qualifying courses.
To find out about all of the breadth of benefits of working for Achieving for Children click here.
Achieving for Children have fixed start dates, candidates are advised to prepare for this should a job offer be accepted to ensure eligible continuous service is not affected.
How To apply
If you would like more information about this role please see our role profile.
Please apply online including a supporting statement addressing how you meet the criteria for this post detailing what skills, knowledge, experience and abilities you can bring to the role, as outlined in the role profile.
If you would like to have an informal discussion about this role please contact Michael Smith, Associate Director of Finance, email@example.com.
Closing date: Friday 25 April 2021
Interview date: w/c 3 May 2021
Achieving for Children is an equal opportunities employer, this extends to welcoming candidates from BAME backgrounds. We are committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children, young people and vulnerable adults. We expect all staff and volunteers to share this commitment.
We reserve the right to close this vacancy once a sufficient number of applications has been received. Therefore, it is strongly advised that you complete and return your application as soon as possible to avoid disappointment.