We have an exciting opportunity for an experienced manager to join our Support Services & Strategy team here at South Somerset District Council. We are a Council with big ambitions for South Somerset - we work to make it a place where businesses flourish, communities are safe, vibrant and healthy and residents enjoy good housing and cultural, leisure and sporting activities.
We are looking for a proactive individual to be the overall manager of a diverse team of professionals (we call these Specialists and Case Officers) within our Support Services and Strategy Directorate. Our Specialists and Case Officers work in different departments for example Marketing & Communications, Strategy and People, Performance and Change and you would be the manager responsible for supporting these colleague groups enabling function leads (we call these Lead Specialists) to concentrate on delivering great results.
The role includes but is not limited to:
- Responsibility for leading, managing and coaching your team
- Setting clear targets, objectives and proactively managing work flow
- Ensuring that colleagues understand their priorities and deliver the results required
- Leading recruitment, selection and induction of vacancies whilst working in partnership with our People team
- Ensuring that all colleagues are encouraged and supported in their personal and professional development.
- And crucially in these challenging times, working with our team to ensure that they receive the right support in line with our Wellbeing programme.
The experience and/or attributes we will be looking for include:
- Demonstrable experience of managing and leading a team is essential
- You should have a real desire and drive to support our colleagues to be the best that they can be in their role
- You should be able to give examples of how you manage wellbeing and employment issues (such as performance or absence) positively and proactively.
- You need to be passionate about change and development and inspiring people to continually develop and improve the services we deliver to our communities.
- The ability to build relationships quickly will be key as you will be working closely with other team managers, function leads and our Senior Leadership Team (SLT) in order to drive forward priorities and objectives.
You will be joining a very supportive Leadership and Management Team (LMT) and Support Services team who will give you the support to succeed in this role.
We offer the following benefits:
- Agile working – allowing you to work flexibly
- Generous annual leave and the option to purchase additional leave
- The opportunity to join the Local Government Pension Scheme (LGPS) with generous employer contributions
- Excellent support for your wellbeing including access to our Employee Assistance Programme (EAP), health cash plan and Mental Health First Aiders (Wellbeing buddies)
- We have a culture that embraces development and learning opportunities
- Cycle to work scheme
- Discounts at local gyms, country parks, theatres and event tickets.
Please contact Nicola Hix, Director of Strategy & Support Services on 01935 462612 should you wish to discuss the role in more detail.
Previous applicants need not apply.