Centrally located in the Thames Gateway, Gravesham Borough Council provides a range of services to over 106,000 people and 4,000 businesses.
The Borough of Gravesham, situated in the north west corner of Kent, covers 25,000 acres of the most varied countryside in south east England.
Bordered by the River Thames to the north, it is at the heart of Thames Gateway and has a significant role to play in the regeneration of a major government growth area.
Gravesham Borough Council is committed to delivering to the community and working with us means you are part of delivering the level of growth and improvement our community needs and deserves.
We are looking for a passionate environmentalist to help us respond to the Council’s recent Climate Emergency declaration, to improve environmental sustainability throughout the Council and in all the communities across the borough.
You will take a lead in developing and delivering the Councils Climate Change Action Plan, to enable the council to achieve its aim of becoming carbon neutral by 2030. This will include reducing the impacts of our estate and operations as well as helping to adapt Council policy and procedure.
Building on your significant experience of working in a sustainability environment and your knowledge of climate change related policy and practice, you will provide technical advice and support on a wide range of sustainability issues to councillors, officers and partner organisations.
Using your project management experience, you will work closely with various council services to establish and help deliver carbon reduction initiatives and other sustainability projects. This includes building and presenting business cases, seeking and securing external funding, leading on procurement activity, contract management, monitoring and reporting. You will also work on projects with a wide range of local, regional, national and international partners.
Undertake a range of specialist tasks including:
- To develop and deliver a rolling programme of projects to support the council in achieving its climate change commitments.
- To support the Assistant Director (IT & Transformation) in co-ordinating the activity of the relevant Working Groups of the Council.
- To provide advice to colleagues to enable sustainable development, carbon minimisation and climate change adaptation to be built into all Council plans and strategies.
- To work with colleagues and a range of stakeholders to prepare feasibility assessments for identified carbon reduction initiatives and projects. To support the development of robust business cases to support such initiatives and projects.
- To prepare, review and maintain strategic and reporting documents of the council’s action on climate change and sustainability issues.
- To prepare reports, briefing papers and other information for Senior Management and Members.
- To support activity intended to seek and secure external funding for carbon reduction or sustainability actions, including funding to target energy efficiency measures and fuel poverty.
- To collect and collate technical data from across the council in order to meet statutory return requirements. Complete and submit all relevant statutory returns and data requests.
- To develop and maintain relevant and timely performance management information in respect of delivery, impact and outcomes of sustainability projects. To analyse such data and advise Senior Management on the necessary action where appropriate.
- To develop and maintain the council communications and promotion programme around climate change, specifically taking responsibility for relevant information on the council website.
- To maintain an up to date knowledge of approaches to energy, sustainability and climate change, provide data insight and analysis and provide briefings for decision makers as required.
- To contribute to initiatives that help raise the Council’s profile in leading on climate change action.
- To represent the council at meetings, conferences and other events involving other local authorities, external partners and agencies on climate change, carbon reduction and sustainability issues.
Essential qualifications/experience- Hold a suitable and appropriate recognised qualification in climate change and sustainability, or able to demonstrate significant experience in the field.
Desirable qualifications/experience- Hold a recognised project management qualification and have experience in the area of low carbon technology
In return we offer you:
A generous holiday entitlement, plus paid bank holidays.
In-house and external training including non-qualification, Continued Personal Development (CPD), NVQ and other qualification training.
Employee Assistance Programme
The Employee Assistance Programme (EAP) is a free and confidential support service, offering you unlimited access to advice and information as well as coaching and counselling where appropriate.
Available 24 hours a day, 365 days a year, the service is there to help you manage all of life's events and support you through the challenges. Their expert advisers are there to help,
whenever you need them. Support on the telephone, online and face to face.
A very secure pension scheme which both you and we pay into. More information can be found on the Local Government Pension Scheme website.
An on-site Occupational Health Advisor. We have an occupational health service provided by East Kent Hospitals University Foundation NHS Trust. The service is delivered by a team of health professionals who specialise in occupational medicine and deal with the relationship between your work and your health. Occupational Health also works with us to resolve any issues in the workplace and also to ensure that well-being at work is maintained.
If you would like to have an informal discussion with the recruiting manager call Darren Everden on 01474 337332.
Applicants must be able to demonstrate all essential requirements as listed in the job profile
Equal Opportunities Commitment Statement
Gravesham Borough Council is committed to creating an inclusive work environment with a diverse workforce. All appropriately qualified candidates will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, gender, sexual orientation, national origin, disability or age
Please be advised that if you are not contacted within 3 weeks of the advert closing date then you have not been shortlisted. All recruitment correspondence, including interview letters and contracts of employment will usually be sent out via email.
We reserve the right to close this vacancy at any time prior to the closing date.
How to Apply
Please be advised that we only accept online applications submitted through JobsGoPublic ATS
If you are not contacted within 3 weeks of the advert closing date then you have not been shortlisted.
All recruitment correspondence, including interview letters and contracts of employment will usually be sent out via email, if you require documentation/correspondence in different format such as braille or large print, please contact the Resourcing Team on 01634 332878.