Our vision for the county is that local communities are independent, strong and vibrant. We target our effort on those services that will make the biggest difference to communities, enabling them to help themselves in achieving their aspirations.
Increasing demographic pressures, continuing challenges to provide residents and communities with greater levels of choice and control over services, and the tighter financial constraints placed on the authority mean that the Council needs to continually review the way it operates. Working with elected Members, the leadership team has set out a clear vision of how we will continue to deliver for our residents over the next five years. This plan will provide the vision and direction, as well as the framework for our organisation and our collective partnership working across West Sussex. It is now our job, with our Members, to deliver on these commitments for and on behalf of our residents. Working for us is all about making a positive difference to the people of West Sussex.
For more information on WSCC, please visit our website.
About The Job
Salary: £55,959 - £59,222 per annum
Working Pattern: Full-time (37 hours per week)
Location: County Hall, Chichester
In this role you will manage sub-categories across the Place category portfolio and collaborate with Directorates/Services and the Category Lead to champion a new best practice commercial approach to external spend in order to deliver value for money outcomes and transform the ways services are delivered.
You will develop and implement robust sub-category strategies for the Place category that optimises performance for the business in terms of cost, quality, delivery and responsiveness - sharing best practice guidance for the procurement of either Capital, Waste or Highways across WSCC, taking into consideration the full supplier lifecycle.
You will also manage projects and sub-categories and be responsible for contributions to a category which currently spends £180M - £200M across c. 300 plus suppliers with significant spend in sub-categories of highways, construction, and waste. You will be the primary interface for your sub-categories with stakeholders, developing your category and procurements and leading stakeholders in best practices.
Experience and Skills
You will be able to demonstrate the relevant skills and experience, and will be someone that provides strong, visible, and collective leadership for categories of spend. Your key competency areas will include; procurement technical, influencing, leading, change and stakeholders management; both internally and externally to achieve outcomes within a complex operating environment. In addition you will be able to demonstrate the following skills and experience:
- Negotiation: A skilled negotiator with a broad range of skill sets.
- Analysis: Skilled in being able to conduct analysis on complex data sets to provide concise insights.
- Stakeholder Management: Strong stakeholder management skills, demonstrating ability to engage with stakeholders at multi levels.
- Leading and Managing Others: Strong project leadership and management capabilities and experience, with capacity to manage multiple small and medium sized projects.
- Change Management: Understands change management and process improvement with experience in supporting business process / organisational change.
- Strategy Delivery: Experience of delivering and implementing category and sourcing strategies, delivering strategies for various sub-categories.
Qualifications and/or experience:
- MCIPS qualified procurement professional / working towards MCIPS with significant experience managing and leading projects.
- Knowledge and experience of EU procurement processes, using Government procurement frameworks, within the Place category.
- Experience of identifying and implementing relevant commercial terms and has a good understanding of commercial risks and exposures.
- Demonstrable experience of delivering total cost of ownership savings
- Understanding of supplier management and can demonstrate development of a supplier over time.
- Demonstrate an understanding of the latest market and procurement trends within the sub-category area of expertise.
- Good knowledge of the Highways Act and JCT agreements.
Rewards and Benefits
In addition to 29 days annual leave and a generous pension scheme as an employer we recognise that it is our employees that are central to everything we do. We aim to create a supportive and dynamic working environment where employees can achieve their full potential, achieve a healthy work-life balance and are rewarded for the work they do.
For a full list of the benefits offered to you as a West Sussex County Council employee you can find them on our Rewards and Benefits page.
The reference number for this role is CRS00442.
Closing Date: Wednesday 14 April 2021.