The Library Service is statutory and universal, providing access to books and information. Our libraries receive over 3 million visits per year. We promote the benefits of reading for learning, health and wellbeing through campaigns, events and activities. We help people get online and navigate the digital world. We provide targeted services for hard to reach or vulnerable groups and we offer services to support employment and enterprise. Our online platforms attract over 4 million visits per year, offering a download service for books, newspapers and magazines, plus access to trusted information resources.
For more information, please visit our dedicated website.
About The Job
Salary: £18,562- £18,933
Working Pattern: Full-time (36 hours per week)
Contract Length: Permanent
Location: Chichester Library, Chichester
Interview Date: 20 April 2021 (Microsoft Teams)
Our Library Assistants play a vital role in promoting reading, supporting learning, and encouraging our many varied library visitors to participate in community life.
We're looking for friendly, enthusiastic and resourceful individuals to work in our busy library space. You will be involved in front-line customer service, receiving and issuing resources, searching for information, helping visitors use the public-access computers, e-resources, and self-service kiosks. You will have excellent digital skills and able to multi-task in a busy setting. You will be a keen team player, able to work alongside other services and volunteers providing excellent customer service to the whole range of visitors to the library. We have an excellent team who will support you every step of the way with regular supervision and wellbeing meetings to ensure your success in this rewarding role.
Please note that this position will include 1 in 2 Saturdays + weekend enhancement.
Please note that this position will be split as two separate working shifts, please see below example of working weeks;
Monday - 8.30 - 5, Tuesday - 8.30 - 6.05, Wednesday - OFF, Thursday - 8.30 - 5, Friday - 8.30 - 6.05 and Saturday - 8.30 - 5.05
Monday - 8.30 - 5, Tuesday - 8.30 - 6.05, Wednesday - OFF, Thursday - 8.30 - 5.05, Friday - 8.30 - 6.05 and Saturday - OFF
Experience and Skills
- Good communication and customer service skills to interact effectively with the general public and experience of providing a service giving basic advice and guidance.
- Experience of team working and the ability to work as part of a team completing shared tasks, including working alongside volunteers and demonstrating an appreciation of their role.
- Good interpersonal skills with the ability to confidently work with children, families and customers of all ages e.g. reading to groups of young children during story time sessions and hosting Knit and Natter sessions in the library.
- Ability to quickly respond to changes in ways of working and to promote new library initiatives, e.g. helping customers access digital services.
- Ability to demonstrate initiative and judgement whilst working within library practices and procedures e.g. resolve.
Qualifications and/or experience:
- 4 GCSEs with A-C passes including Maths and English or equivalent qualification/experience.
- Digital expertise and experience, particularly with basic Office applications.
Rewards and Benefits
As an employer we recognise that it is our employees that are central to everything we do. We aim to create a supportive and dynamic working environment where employees can achieve their full potential, achieve a healthy work-life balance and are rewarded for the work they do.
In addition to working within a great team and a competitive salary you will have access to 24 days annual leave + bank holidays with the ability to buy additional leave annually.
For a full list of the benefits offered to you as a West Sussex County Council employee you can find them on our Rewards and Benefits page.
The reference number for this role is CPP00350 .
For an informal conversation or for further information regarding the role, please contact Gareth Edmunds - Hiring Manager (Library Manager) at . For issues or queries regarding your application please contact .