APPLY VIA THIS LINK ONLY - https://www.stalbans.gov.uk/working-electoral-services
- Presiding Officersare experienced polling station staff with good knowledge of the voting process. They must be able to manage a small team of poll clerks, ensure that people with additional needs can cast their vote, liaise appropriately with tellers, party agents and polling station inspectors, and maintain the secrecy of the ballot. The payment for this role is between £360 and £380 dependent on the number of elections in the polling station.
- Poll Clerks work under the direction of the Presiding Officer. They assist with keeping the polling station clean and tidy, answer electors' questions and hand out ballot papers. The payment for this role is between £190 and £200 dependent on the number of elections in the polling station. No prior experience is necessary.
- Polling Station Marshalls will greet and direct electors, ensure that queues are managed to maintain social distancing, hand out masks where necessary and carry out regular cleaning at the polling station. We would advise that although there will be the opportunity to have a break this work will require you to be standing and outside. The payment for this role is £190. No prior experience is necessary.
- Count staff work at Batchwood Sports Centre counting the ballot papers after the close of poll. This year counting will take place between Saturday 8 and Monday 10 May inclusive as follows:
- Saturday 8 May, 9am – 6pm (approx.)
- Sunday 9 May, 9am – 4pm (approx.)
Weekend pay rates: Count Supervisor £165, Count Assistant £120
- Monday 10 May, 9.30am – 4pm (approx.)
Monday pay rates: Count Supervisor £120, Count Assistant £80
You will be required to bring your own refreshments to the counting sessions and a food allowance will be paid to all staff on each day (in addition to the above fees).
We ask that you only apply for election roles if you would be prepared to work under any COVID restrictions, but we can assure you that we will be running our elections in a COVID-secure environment for all available roles and additional procedures being put in place include:
- Protective screens for staff at the polling station and count
- Enhanced cleaning
- One-way systems
- Single use pencils
- Dedicated Health and Safety Advisor
Polling stations are based in various location throughout the district including St Albans, Harpenden, Wheathampstead, Redbourn, Park Street, Bricket Wood, London Colney, Colney Heath and Chiswell Green.
The count will be held at Batchwood Sports Centre, Batchwood Drive, St Albans AL3 5XA
Applying for a job
To express an interest in any of these roles please complete an elections application form which can be found here: https://www.stalbans.gov.uk/working-electoral-services or contact firstname.lastname@example.org / 01727 819318.
Please note the following terms of employment:
- election roles are paid on a Pay As You Earn (PAYE) basis, which means that tax may be deducted from your earnings. If you are not a tax payer you will be responsible for claiming the tax back from HMRC
- any work that you do may affect any state pension or benefit that you receive. You will be responsible for telling your pension or benefit provider about your earnings
- any work you do may affect how much tax that you are required to pay. You will be responsible for telling HMRC about your earnings
- you will be required to provide proof of entitlement to work in the UK
How to Apply
Please apply online via the link provided. Please note, we do not accept CVs submitted without a fully completed online application form.