In the Archives Team we care for, preserve and develop archive collections. We provide a state of the art conservation service using our purpose-built facilities. We also seek to provide an environment where learning and discovery can be enjoyed through a programme of cultural engagement events at The Keep.
The Keep is a purpose-built, state of the art archive building in Brighton. It is home to the East Sussex and Brighton and Hove Record Office (ESBHRO), the Royal Pavilion & Museums’ Local History Collections and the University of Sussex Special Collections. It provides for the permanent preservation of the current and future archival heritage and historical resources of the partners and is open to the public for people wishing to view archival material and attend talks and events.
We are seeking to appoint an experienced and enthusiastic Conservator to work at The Keep. They will be responsible for conservation for the East Sussex and Brighton and Hove Records Office as well as supporting the work of the other partners.
The Conservator will undertake interventive conservation on our archive collections ranging from the medieval to the present day and lead on preservation. This includes environmental monitoring of archive storage and playing an integral role in business continuity and disaster planning. They will also work collaboratively with colleagues across the partnership to contribute to our outreach programme through the delivery of talks and training and support income generation by carrying out work for external customers. Their work will be guided by conservation best practice, professional ethics and national and international archive standards.
A recognised conservation qualification is essential, as is a willingness to keep up to date with the latest conservation and collections care practices and build expertise through research and formal training. The successful candidate will also have excellent knowledge of the appropriate conservation methods, preservation and collections care for a wide range of physical media including paper, parchment and photographs.
The role will include:
- Condition checks and undertaking remedial conservation of items accessioned to the Keep collections.
- Working closely with Archivists and Public Service teams to support their training, the storage and handling of the collections.
- Working closely with the Controller of Premises to ensure the collections are kept in optimum conditions.
- Initiating and managing projects, applying for funding and managing staff and volunteers to complete conservation projects and to support the conservation needs of other projects on site.
- Devising and supervising volunteer projects and preparing documents for digitisation and/or exhibition.
- In return we can offer the chance to develop your skills working with a wide range of materials, from medieval deeds to modern books, whilst working with a range of partners and stakeholders.