Are you a pro-active, motivated and confident individual who is seeking a challenging multi-skilled role? If the answer is “yes” then we would love hear from you.
What is in it for you?
This role attracts a salary of £26,395 per annum and an annual leave entitlement of 24 days plus bank holidays.
You would be based at Guildford Crematorium in Godalming but would occasionally work at other sites such as churchyards and cemeteries the service is responsible for.
Hours of work are 8.30- 5pm Monday to Thursday and 8.30 – 4.30 on Friday’s with occasional work required on a Saturday.
What you’ll do on a typical day:
- Provide general support to the bereavement services team including input of legal and medical papers, filing, record keeping, scanning, booking appointments and funeral services.
- Communicate with coroners, doctors, and funeral directors to resolve issues with medical and legal papers.
- Receive and document payments and produce monthly accounts and weekly banking documentation.
- Raise and approve orders.
- Process requests for webcasts and tributes and allocate finance.
- Meet with families to discuss and arrange memorial options.
- Carry out witnessed laying to rest of ashes with bereaved families.
- Providing cover in the chapel for lunchbreaks/ annual leave which involves receiving the deceased into the chapel, performing nameplate checks, operating the computerised Wesley music and webcast system. You would also be responsible for overseeing the funeral service and ensuring services during the day run to schedule following all necessary procedures.
- Provide advice and support/sign posting to funeral directors, officiants and the bereaved.
At a minimum, you will be able to demonstrate:
- Ability to multitask and prioritise.
- Ability to work as part of a team and under you own direction
- Good experience in client- facing customer service roles.
- A proactive approach, with strong administrative and processing skills.
- Excellent interpersonal skills and confidence in difficult situations.
- Conscientious attitude and attention to detail.
- A good standard of numeracy and literacy
- Good IT skills
- Strong administrative and customer service background
- Flexible approach to work tasks
It would be great if you also have:
- Good organisational skills with the ability to take the initiative.
Please note: Previous applicants need not apply.
If you have any queries please contact Natasha Precious Bereavement Services Manager on 01483 444710.
Please do not apply if you do not meet the essential criteria on the JDPS.
A basic DBS check will be required for the successful applicant prior to appointment.
How to Apply
Our preferred method is online application however if you do require a hard copy application pack please contact Human Resources, Guildford Borough Council, Millmead, Guildford GU2 4BB. Telephone (01483) 444111 (24-hr). Alternatively e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org quoting the relevant post number. Please note that we do not accept CVs, please ensure that you complete the application form fully.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity. All employment decisions are made on the basis of qualifications, merit and business need. Our organisation is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children, young people and vulnerable adults, and expects all staff and post-holders to share this commitment. To fulfil this commitment we have robust systems in place for the safe recruitment of staff and volunteers.
Follow us on Twitter @GuildfordBC