The Transport & Network Management Service ensures that our highways are properly managed to ensure residents and businesses can get to where they need to in an efficient way. It also encourages and makes arrangements for residents to use
sustainable travel options to make their journeys. Within this service, the Transport Co-ordination Group manage and provide passenger transport solutions arranging for eligible children and others with special requirements to get to and from school using their own fleet of accessible vehicles. They also manage the School Crossing Patrol Service. This West Sussex service operates out of three bases in Chichester, Horsham and Worthing.
For more information about West Sussex County Council, please visit our WSCC About Us page.
About The Job
Salary: £20,092 - £20,493 per annum ( £8,145 to £8,307 per annum, Pro-rated)
Location: WSCC Northern Highways Office, Burgess Hill, Haywards Heath, Crawley, East Grinstead, Horsham
Working Pattern: Part time, 15 Hours per week - split shift (7.30 Am - 9 Am / 2.30 Pm - 4Pm)
Interview date: Monday 8 March 2021
Here at WSCC we have an new opportunity for an Assistant Area Co-ordinator to join our Crossing Patrol Service and provide a valuable service to our local communities.
The Crossing Patrol Service manages sites outside and near to schools providing safe
crossing and also encouraging walking by children and their parents. You will directly impact this service by supervising a team of crossing patrols. You will work together with schools on recruitment, safety and support of long and short term volunteers.
You will work across a wide geographic area based from our Northern Office depot (near Worthing) to supervise, monitor, and manage a large number of School Crossing Patrols (SCPs), solving a variety of problems and liaising with internal and external service providers and agencies. You will also ensure that each West Sussex SCP receives induction and training, uniform and approved equipment in order to work effectively and professionally.
Flexible working is available based on the business needs.
Experience and Skills
1. Excellent written and oral communication skills including the ability to exchange often technical information with staff, agencies, schools, suppliers, HR, and members of the public. Additionally, the post holder may need developed advisory skills to explain complex service requirements to members of the public in response to queries. Furthermore to be able to write clear and concise reports, and to document the findings of incidents and investigations for Area Coordinators.
2. Be able to anticipate and identify problems, plan solutions, make sound practical problem-solving decisions and make best use of available resources e.g. identify hazards, assess risk levels, implement mitigation.
3. A strong customer focus with the ability to work within a team that provides a high quality School Crossing Patrol Service.
4. Good people related skills for managing School Crossing Patrols and to work with colleagues in all of the area teams to deliver excellent services.
5. Ability to remain calm when under pressure and to be able to switch work between competing needs during the course of a day.
Qualifications and/or experience:
* 3 GCSEs or equivalent, or equivalent experience.
* Experience of day to day supervision of a team.
* Operational experience of planning and utilising resources.
* Have good literacy and numeracy skills.
* Sound and accurate IT knowledge in Microsoft Word and other MS Office applications.
* A strong background in customer relations, dealing with complaints and defusing possible conflicts.
* To have proven successful experience of working as part of a team in order to effectively meet objectives within agreed timescales.
* A full car driver licence.
Rewards and Benefits
As an employer we recognise that it is our employees that are central to everything we do. We aim to create a supportive and dynamic working environment where employees can achieve their full potential, achieve a healthy work-life balance and are rewarded for the work they do.
You will also have access to a full list of the benefits offered to you as a West Sussex County Council employee you can find them on our Rewards and Benefits page.
The reference number for this role is EIE00785.
To apply, upload your CV and complete the application explaining the skills and experience you can bring to the role ensuring that any gaps in employment are covered in your CV. Please ensure you have saved the job description attached to the main advert on our website as, once the job has closed, you may not have the opportunity to download again.
We are committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children, young people and vulnerable adults
This post is subject to satisfactory references, health check.
West Sussex County Council is an equal opportunities employer committed to promoting an environment that is inclusive and free from all forms of unlawful or unfair discrimination and values the diversity of its people. We actively welcome applications from people of all backgrounds and take every possible step to ensure that no individual will be disadvantaged.
For information regarding your eligibility to apply for this role under our Disability or Veteran's Guaranteed Interview Scheme, this can be found on our application help page.
Note for Recruitment Agencies: We prefer to hire people directly, but we do have a supplier list for when we need a helping hand. We'll be in touch directly if we need you!
For resourcing reference only Internal only: CC