Making West Sussex a safer place to live, work and visit, West Sussex Fire and Rescue Service responds to a range of emergencies across the county including fires, road traffic collisions, flooding and animal rescues. Our firefighters also respond to emergencies outside of West Sussex, assisting in both national and international search and rescue operations.
We have a bold and strong commitment to improving the lives of our residents, especially when it comes to ensuring our communities feel safe. Despite the challenges we are grappling with and those that lay ahead of our organisation and our sector, we have plans to meet this challenge 'head on'. You will find a passionate and dedicated team of staff across our organisation and a newly modelled senior team structure.
For more information about West Sussex Fire and Rescue Service, please visit our website.
About The Job
Salary: £20,903 to £22,183 per annum
Working Pattern: Full time, 37 hours per week
Location: Chichester (with a requirement to travel across West Sussex)
Interview date: 11, 12 March 2021
As the Hydrant Inspector you will play a vital role in helping to make West Sussex a safer place to live, work and visit through supporting the delivery and resilience of our Fire & Rescue Service.
You will conduct inspections, repairs and maintenance of the hydrant infrastructure throughout the County to ensure quality and provide specialist advice to our customers, fire crews, private companies and property owners. You will be responsible for accurately updating records, inputting information into systems and writing maintenance reports.
Although part of a team your role will involve you lone working, and you will need to be readily available to react, prioritise and address defects in the hydrant infrastructure identified by fire crews and customers. As part of the Water & Access team there will be occasions where you will be required to work closely with other agencies such as water companies, Highways and Transport agencies.
You will be assigned a service work vehicle in order to conduct your inspections and maintenance of the hydrant infrastructure and to carry the required tools and equipment.
Experience and Skills
- Ability to proactively set and meet deadlines and to understand when problems need to be referred back to office staff.
- Ability to inspect sites, interpret technical information, solve varied problems and plan over the short term.
- Will need to be computer literate for day to day work requirements, using our water management system on a Windows 10 laptop.
- Developed communication and interpersonal skills in order to provide clear and concise specialist, customer focused advice and guidance to a range of customers and agencies.
- Ability to organise and present information clearly, concisely and accurately and in ways that promote understanding, either verbally or in written/electronic form with limited guidance.
- Demonstrate good literacy and numeracy skills in order to understand complex written instructions describing tasks and to complete accurate records.
Qualifications and/or experience:
- Educated to GCSE; 5 GCSEs with grades 9-4 / A-C passes including Maths and English or equivalent qualification or equivalent experience.
- Full valid UK driving licence.
- Certification of the National Roads and Street Works Act Parts 1 & 2. (Training will be provided).
Rewards and Benefits
As an employer we recognise that it is our employees that are central to everything we do. We aim to create a supportive and dynamic working environment where employees can achieve their full potential, achieve a healthy work-life balance and are rewarded for the work they do.
Aside from 23 days annual leave, you will also have access to a full list of the benefits offered to you as a West Sussex County Council employee you can find them on our Rewards and Benefits page.
To apply, upload your CV and complete the application explaining the skills and experience you can bring to the role ensuring that any gaps in employment are covered in your CV. Please ensure you have saved the job description attached to the main advert on our website as, once the job has closed, you may not have the opportunity to download again.
We are committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children, young people and vulnerable adults
This post is subject to satisfactory references, health check.
West Sussex County Council is an equal opportunities employer committed to promoting an environment that is inclusive and free from all forms of unlawful or unfair discrimination and values the diversity of its people. We actively welcome applications from people of all backgrounds and take every possible step to ensure that no individual will be disadvantaged.
For information regarding your eligibility to apply for this role under our Disability or Veteran's Guaranteed Interview Scheme, this can be found on our application help page.
Note for Recruitment Agencies: We prefer to hire people directly, but we do have a supplier list for when we need a helping hand. We'll be in touch directly if we need you!
For resourcing team reference only: Internal only: CC