WOULD YOU LIKE TO BE A MEMBER OF SEFTON COUNCIL’S INDEPENDENT REMUNERATION PANEL OR BE AN INDEPENDENT PERSON TO HELP WITH SEFTON COUNCIL’S STANDARDS REGIME?
This is a unique opportunity to be involved in an important aspect of local government.
Sefton Council is looking for two members of the public to join its Independent Remuneration Panel which is responsible for reviewing the levels of allowances paid to Councillors. The operation of the Panel is crucial in providing the impartiality which enables public confidence in the allowance system. The Panel aims to be fair, open and effective.
Sefton Council is also looking for two members of the public to become Independent Persons to help with its standards regime. An Independent Person is a statutory position which is designed to provide a further level of independence and objectivity to corporate governance issues; and the assessment and consideration of complaints made against elected members working closely with the Monitoring Officer and the Council’s Audit and Governance Hearing Sub-Committee. The Independent Person will also be involved in the Council’s Appeals Committee and Employment Procedure Committee if there is a need to consider disciplinary action and/or dismissal of a statutory officer.
Applications to join the Independent Remuneration Panel or to become an Independent Person are invited from interested people. Applications can be made for both positions. You must:
- be of the highest integrity;
- be able to understand and analyse complex issues;
- have good literacy and numeracy skills;
- be able to exercise sound judgement in considering evidence;
- not be disqualified from standing as a Councillor;
- not be a Councillor within the Borough or employee of Sefton Council (or a close relative of either) or serve on any of its Committees, Sub-Committees (for example as a co-opted Member) or other joint arrangements;
- not have any active connections with any political party;
- be willing to attend meetings in Sefton and communicate via email.
These are not paid positions, but reasonable travel expenses will be payable.