HR is responsible for providing a service that is fit for purpose and understands the needs of the business, in an operational function that is shaped in order to add value to the organisation.
As a service we take pride in our work by valuing others, focusing on what's important so that we make a real and positive difference. Our values are outlined in our Ways of Working and our Guiding Principles and if they reflect how you are and how you work then this could be the role that meets your expectations.
What is the role?
The role is to provide professional support whilst delivering operational HR activities. The post holder reports directly to HR Manger however there is a professional reporting line to the HR Practitioner.
- Provide advice and guidance to line managers on a wide range of people management issues.
- To provide HR support and advice in accordance with organisational change Policy for contractual changes.
- Provide support on Management investigations, grievances, appeals Panels and procedures.
- Providing guidance to Panel Members when part of formal Panel.
- Coach and engage with managers to provide guidance around HR policies and practices.
- To support the coordination of business acquisitions within the team
- To monitor and assist management in the reduction of absence across the services.
- To provide HR support to managers on absence management cases.
- Process ill health referrals and deferred pension cases in accordance with policy.
- Responsible for monitoring fixed term contracts (over 2 years) and supporting and advising managers accordingly, being aware of fixed term regulations.
- Explore and participate in the resolution of overpayments as a result of contractual changes.
- Support schools in preparing accurate employee liability information for school conversions to academies, via TUPE.
- Attendance at Academy Project team reviews
- Managing or work with trade unions.
Who is the person?
- Be a highly motivated individual with a positive attitude and desire to deliver successful outcomes.
- Proven successful experience of Low level Operational HR casework delivering successful outcomes on Employee relation cases.
- Demonstrate ability to think on your feet, react quickly whilst still giving quality professional advice which meets the business needs
- Possess strong communication and interpersonal skills that enable you to confidently work with people at all levels.
- Have excellent influencing & coaching skills to get line managers on board and engaged with HR initiatives
- Possess excellent listening skills to understand customers' requirements
You need to:
- Have a clear understanding of Portsmouth City Council's corporate values and business needs with the ability to implement policies.
- Will provide effective support on a wide range of HR initiatives including HR generalist advice & policy support, project work, & management information.
- Have knowledge of current legislation and experience of applying this knowledge in practice.
- Have highly proficient IT skills/ computer literacy
- Undertake all activities ethically and legally
- Have high level of administrative/organisation skill
- Generate trust and establish effective working relationships
- Possess good analytical skills
- Have excellent accuracy and attention to detail, recording information succinctly in the appropriate place(s) and in a timely manner
• Take responsibility for identifying own personal and professional development.