Working for us at West Sussex County Council is all about making a positive difference to the people of West Sussex.
This is a great opportunity for you to join us working as part of an Area Operations Team in Adult Services, with in the Support Brokerage Team.
The Support Brokers source and set up non-residential care and support for people living in their own homes. Whilst as a Support Brokerage Purchasing Assistant you will be responsible for the administration and purchasing tasks relating to the care and support that has been put in place to meet their assessed needs and outcomes.
If this sounds like an interesting opportunity for you, why not join us and let's make a difference to our communities together!
About The Job
Salary: Grade 5 £20,092 to £20,493
Working Pattern: Full time, 37 hours
Contract Length: Fixed term, 30 June 2021
In this exciting opportunity, you will provide purchasing assistant work in partnership with customers and their families / carers to purchase agreed services, provide reliable, efficient, effective, flexible and high-level administrative service.
You will undertake a variety of administrative tasks relating to the support, planning and review processes which will also include responding to typical client queries, giving standard information and guidance relating to the service, maintaining records and producing standard correspondence. Whilst following set procedures and using Mosaic to collect data and monitor customers' expenditure to ensure it falls within agreed levels.
To be qualified for this role, you will possess good verbal communication skills for answering telephone queries effectively and communicating with managers and team members. You will have some awareness and technical skills in the use of major computerised financial systems for invoicing or a similar service.
The role involves minimal exposure to people or subject matter, which could occasionally place emotional demands on you.
Experience and Skills
- Relevant technical knowledge of procedures and practices associated with operating an administrative service.
- Ability to make sound and accurate financial calculations, process invoices, monitor budgets and do other similar tasks working with an understanding of finance.
- Ability to use your initiative to independently respond to unexpected problems or situations e.g. a change of client priority for particular tasks.
- Ability to exercise tact and sensitivity when responding to queries which may relate to sensitive circumstances and/or dealing with members of the public who may be upset, angry or confused.
- Ability to embrace change and adapt to changing situations and new ways of working positively and effectively. Including the ability to learn new systems and processes.
- Sound and accurate overall IT knowledge including Microsoft Office.
Qualifications and/or experience:
- 4 GCSEs with A-C passes including Maths and English or equivalent qualification or experience demonstrating that level of numeracy and literacy.
- Knowledge and awareness of the processes and systems associated with the management of purchasing and personal budgets.
- Experience of working in a customer orientated environment.
- Awareness of office systems and practices usually demonstrated by some experience of working in an office environment.
- Experience providing specialist advice to managers or customers, including explaining financial information or other technical information.
- Experience of working in a financial environment.
Rewards and Benefits
In addition to working within a great team and a competitive salary you will have access to:
- 24 days annual leave + bank holidays with the ability to buy additional leave annually.
- Access to a generous, defined benefit pension scheme.
- A range of flexible working options.
For a full list of the benefits offered to you as a West Sussex County Council employee you can find them on our Rewards and Benefits page.
The reference number for this role is CAFHE02996 .
For an informal conversation or for further information regarding the role, please contact David Abbott, Support Broker Team Manager on 03302 227 126. For issues or queries regarding your application please contact .
To apply, upload your CV and complete the application explaining the skills and experience you can bring to the role ensuring that any gaps in employment are covered in your CV. Please ensure you have saved the job description attached to the main advert on our website as, once the job has closed, you may not have the opportunity to download again.
We are committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children, young people and vulnerable adults. This post is subject to an enhanced DBS check, 5 years referencing and a health check.
West Sussex County Council is an equal opportunities employer committed to promoting an environment that is inclusive and free from all forms of unlawful or unfair discrimination and values the diversity of its people. We actively welcome applications from people of all backgrounds and take every possible step to ensure that no individual will be disadvantaged.
For information regarding your eligibility to apply for this role under our Disability or Veteran's Guaranteed Interview Scheme, this can be found on our application help page.
Note for Recruitment Agencies: We prefer to hire people directly, but we do have a supplier list for when we need a helping hand. We'll be in touch directly if we need you!