Digital and ICT Portfolio Manager
Full time 37 hours
£42,821 - £48,847
There has never been a better or more exciting time to join Reading Borough Council’s Digital and ICT team.
We are strengthening and expanding the team as we move to a new, multi-supplier operating model designed to make the best use of Digital and ICT capabilities, now and in the future, to enable our internal and external customers to deliver services of critical importance to the citizens and businesses of Reading. The team will oversee the delivery and ongoing evolution of services from specialist suppliers, making sure that the overall service meets our customers’ needs, is well integrated, high-performing and secure.
Simultaneously, we are working with the wider business and external stakeholders to develop the organisation’s digital transformation strategy. The team will be at the heart of turning that strategy into reality.
Why work in Reading
About the role
You will oversee delivery of a portfolio of Digital and ICT projects ranging from strategy implementation to the meeting of urgent operational needs, drawing on a corporate cadre of project managers and, in some cases, managing projects directly. You will have the ability to drive project execution, working closely with business and suppliers, in an agile and rigorous fashion.
The following experience is required for this role:
- Professional and/or graduate qualifications in business management
- MSP or PRINCE 2 qualification or equivalent
- Proven track record for defining, planning, executing, controlling and closing projects and the ability to manage multiple projects simultaneously with minimal supervision
- Experience of managing the complete lifecycle of medium to large sized project(s)
- Evidence of creating and maintaining project and programme plans and schedules, including management of risks, issues, actions, and dependencies
- Experience of benefits and dependency mapping, risk management and resource planning
- Highly proficient IT skills in Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and MS Project
- Able to mediate disagreements and negotiate agreeable resolutions
- Experience of programme and project level financial management
- Experience of defining and delivering benefits realisation for projects and programme training and coaching of Project Managers and PMO staff
- Knowledgeable and experienced in effective Business Change methods
- Experienced in providing project communications, updates and presentations aimed at stakeholders at project boards
- Managing ICT project delivery and resources in a complex multi-vendor environment
We offer a supportive environment to grow and develop your career with the opportunity to put your ideas across. Innovation and ambition is strongly encouraged, and you’ll get a great feel for that working in our friendly and collaborative environment.
A competitive salary alongside a range of benefits including:
- Generous holiday entitlement - 24 days holiday each year plus bank holidays - rising to 32 days after 10 years' service, with the option to buy additional leave
- A wide range of flexible working opportunities
- Modern working environment at the Civic Offices in the heart of Reading
- Local Government Pension Scheme (LGPS)
- On-site day nursery (Kennet Day nursery) rated outstanding by Ofsted, and a salary sacrifice scheme to help lower the cost of your nursery fees
- Season Ticket Loan - to help with the cost of your rail/ bus journey, to & from work
- Lease car salary sacrifice scheme allowing you to lease a brand new, greener car for three years. The monthly fee includes insurance, servicing and road tax
For more information on this position please contact firstname.lastname@example.org
Closing Date: 28th February
Interview Date: tbc
Please note that the closing date is given as a guide. We reserve the right to close this vacancy once a sufficient number of applications has been received. Therefore, it is strongly advised that you complete and return your application as soon as possible to avoid disappointment.
Reading Borough Council is a Disability Confident Employer and is committed to the recruitment and continued employment of people with disabilities.