Working for us at West Sussex County Council is all about making a positive difference to the people of West Sussex.
The Forensic Outreach and Liaison Service has two vacancies for full time Senior Forensic Social Workers with demonstrable post-qualifying experience.
This is an exciting opportunity to develop your skills in a busy Forensic Mental Health Service working with clients who have been or continue to be in contact with the Criminal Justice system. If this sounds like an interesting opportunity for you, why not join us and let's make a difference to our communities together!
Check out our campaign page to find out more about careers in adult social work.
About The Job
Salary: £32,910 to £35,745
Working Pattern: Full time, 37 hours
Contract Length: Permanent
Location: Worthing (county wide remit)
These roles will specifically work with clients who are currently detained in hospital and will focus on improving the transition of patients through the secure system into the community. A key part of these roles will be working in partnership with colleagues in the inpatient and community services delivering a high standard o social work practice.
To be qualified for the roles, you will possess the ability to communicate effectively, use your own initiative where appropriate in a context of good support and supervision, have compassion and empathy to support individuals who need our services, and be able to manage your own health and well-being due to the emotional demands of the role.
The successful people will demonstrate a good theoretical, practical and procedural knowledge of social work concepts, and evidence of dealing with complex issues and cases. You will have a good understanding of the necessity of working with partnership agencies including health, housing, education and statutory, voluntary and independent agencies.
You will undertake continued professional development and maintain records of your training in line with Social Work England requirements.
There will also be a requirement for you to work flexibly to support customers, carers and families. You will be required to travel throughout the County including to locations that are not always easily accessible by public transport. There is a regular and intrinsic requirement to communicate in English with members of the public.
Experience and Skills
- Ability to analyse and interpret people-related information and data in order to prioritise needs and formulate plans for intervention and service provision. Ability to work proactively as a member of the team to make an accurate assessment of needs and negotiate and implement effective plans and outcomes.
- Ability to undertake direct work with those who access or need the service in order to support individuals.
- Ability to remain up to date with key legislation and apply legislative requirements within social work practice. Ability to recognise the limits of own accountability and responsibility, and to seek appropriate support, advice and supervision.
- Ability to work in partnership with carers, colleagues and a variety of external agencies in order to deliver the most effective service.
- Ability to communicate clearly and effectively in both written and oral format including the ability to explain complicated information to a wide range of people and negotiate and persuade others to adopt a particular course of action.
- Sound and accurate IT and keyboard skills.
Qualifications and/or experience:
- Degree in relevant professional or equivalent qualification e.g. Certificate of Qualification in Social Work or Diploma in Social Work.
- Registration with the relevant professional registration body and responsibility for maintaining registration with that body.
- Approved Mental Health Practitioner (it is a requirement to have AMHP qualification or to be working towards the qualification to be complete within 2 years of appointment and to maintain level of knowledge).
- Knowledge of theoretical social work concepts and practices, with demonstrable examples of dealing with a breadth of complex issues and situations as well as theoretical, practical and procedural knowledge of social work and working knowledge of legislation relevant to the specialist area of the post e.g. Mental Health Act, Mental Capacity Act.
- Experience of effective partnership working and forming effective working relationships with individuals and colleagues, identifying issues, focusing on needs and handling conflict and disagreement. Good understanding of the necessity of working with partnership agencies including health, housing, learning, statutory, voluntary and independent sector.
- Demonstrable assessment skills, including the ability to ensure regular reviews and risk management with a variety of individuals, carers or families. Evidence of effectively prioritising work and meeting deadlines.
- Experience of effectively coaching and supervising others, acting as a practice role model and promoting exemplary practice.
Rewards and Benefits
In addition to working within a great team and a competitive salary you will have access to:
- 26 days annual leave + bank holidays with the ability to buy additional leave annually.
- Access to a generous, defined benefit pension scheme.
- A range of flexible working options.
For a full list of the benefits offered to you as a West Sussex County Council employee you can find them on our Rewards and Benefits page.
The reference number for this role is CAFHE03006 .
For an informal conversation or for further information regarding the role, please contact Marie Bliss, Acting Operations Manager 07718117167. For issues or queries regarding your application please contact .
To apply, upload your CV and complete the application explaining the skills and experience you can bring to the role ensuring that any gaps in employment are covered in your CV.
We are committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children, young people and vulnerable adults. This post is subject to Social Worker England registration, an enhanced DBS check, 5 years referencing and a health check.
Note for Recruitment Agencies: We prefer to hire people directly, but we do have a supplier list for when we need a helping hand. We'll be in touch directly if we need you!