1 x full time 37 hours, permanent & 1 x full time 37 hours, fixed term for 9 months
Job Share opportunities availablE
Plus market supplement of £3,212 if EHRB registered (Technical Officer - £1,111) Plus payment of professional subscription & payment for working on out of hours rota
We are seeking enthusiastic and motivated individuals to join our Environmental Health Team and contribute in delivering our vision and protecting the quality of life of our residents. Our vision is to ensure that Reading realises its potential to be a city of green spaces, smart technology and economic growth, and that everyone who lives and works here can share the benefits of its success.
About the role
We invite applicants who could meet the requirements for Senior Environmental Health Officers/ Environmental Health Officers/ Senior Technical Officers and Technical Officers within our Food and Safety Team. We also welcome applications from experienced Technical Officers who are yet to complete their PPP.
The successful candidate will have an opportunity to carry out a wide variety of Food & Safety Team work, including enforcing food safety, food standards and health and safety legislation as well as work with our Primary Authority Partnerships and make an impact nationally. This is an excellent opportunity to gain a wealth of experience dealing with food complaints, infectious disease notifications and accident investigations. You will also be involved in initiatives to help improve the safety of the residents of Reading and have the opportunity to participate in collaborative food & safety work at Reading Festival.
There will be the requirement for some work outside of normal office hours and you will need a flexible approach to your work (there is additional payment for working on our out of hours rota).
- You must have a Degree or Diploma from an Environmental Health course accredited by the CIEH as well as the Environmental Health Registration Board Certificate (EHRB).
- For the Technical Officer/Senior Technical Officer you must hold the Higher Certificate in Food Control or be on the path to completing your PPP
- You should be able to communicate effectively with colleagues, members of the public and other agencies, both verbally and in writing.
- Possession of a driving license is desirable
We offer a supportive environment to grow and develop your career with the opportunity to put your ideas across. Innovation and ambition is strongly encouraged, and you’ll get a great feel for that working in our friendly and collaborative environment.
A competitive salary alongside a range of benefits including:
- Generous holiday entitlement - 24 days holiday each year plus bank holidays - rising to 32 days after 10 years' service, with the option to buy additional leave
- Flexible working including some working from home days.
- Maternity, adoption, parental and sick pay
- A wide range of flexible working opportunities including home working
- Modern working environment at the Civic Offices in the heart of Reading
- Access to a range of training and learning opportunities to help you develop
- Local Government Pension Scheme (LGPS)
- On-site day nursery (Kennet Day nursery) rated outstanding by Ofsted, and a salary sacrifice scheme to help lower the cost of your nursery fees
For more information on these positions please contact firstname.lastname@example.org
Closing date: 28th February 2021
Interview Date: w/c 15th of March 2021
Please note that the closing date is given as a guide. We reserve the right to close this vacancy once a sufficient number of applications has been received. Therefore, it is strongly advised that you complete and return your application as soon as possible to avoid disappointment.
Reading Borough Council is a Disability Confident Employer and is committed to the recruitment and continued employment of people with disabilities.