Fixed Term Contract for 14 months
This is an exciting opportunity to join the London Borough of Ealing for a 14-month fixed term position in the social care and housing team as a childcare lawyer. Ealing is a vibrant, innovative and diverse London borough that is committed to ongoing improvement in all aspects of its organisation and service delivery.
You will handle an interesting and varied workload, providing important and cost-effective legal advice and support to the Council's Children, Adults and Public Health Directorate. Your work will focus on children’s social care duties and child protection and you will be part of a highly supportive team. As an in-house social care lawyer you will also be responsible for making a positive contribution to the continuous improvement in the quality and cost effectiveness of the service.
- Be a qualified solicitor, barrister or Fellow of the Institute of Legal Executives
- Have the ability to obtain and evaluate evidence, prepare cases and advocate effectively on behalf of the Council before courts, tribunals, inquiries and other bodies
- Have the ability to adopt a clear and systematic approach to problem solving, including the ability to effectively research new law and policy and to apply that research to meet the needs of the client
- Have the ability to communicate effectively both orally and in writing with non-lawyers and with lawyers and advise at all organisational levels including members and directors
- Have excellent knowledge and experience of children’s social care law and practice
- Have experience of handling your own caseload
- Have some knowledge of local government and public law regarding social care, health and education
- Have experience of providing lawful innovative and creative solutions to legal issues where appropriate
- Have experience of drafting legal and court documentation
- Have some advocacy experience or a willingness to develop these skills
- Have experience or express a willingness to adapt to working remotely.
For an informal discussion about this role please contact Kathleen Ennis, principal lawyer (Social Care and Housing) (firstname.lastname@example.org or tel. 0208 825 9998).
This role is deemed customer facing and as such you must have a command of spoken English which is sufficient to enable you to effectively perform the role. This requirement relates to Part 7 of the Immigration Act 2016.
Any offer of a position shall be subject to a Disclosure and Barring Service check and enhanced vetting process. The post is suitable for a job share or part time working.
Closing date: 11 March 2021