About The Job
Salary: £51,764 - £54,823 per annum
Working Pattern: Full time, 37 hours per week
Location: Willow Park, Chichester
Interview date: 15 March 2021
The management of West Sussex County Council Library Service requires a strong and experienced leadership team, effective at working collaboratively and cohesively. Do you think you have what it takes to become part of that team?
As one of three lead strategic managers in the Library Service, you will be accountable for the provision of the effective leadership and management of the service provided by a range of libraries within a geographical location, as well as one of our specialist teams. You will also take the lead role in delivering specific projects within the Business Plan. You will provide leadership and direction through a period of significant change, formulating viable solutions and implementing new ways of working and cultural change. You will ensure consistent, value for money service provision, meeting performance and financial measures, as well as leading the effective, customer focused delivery of a front-line service.
This role is key to ensuring both service continuity and continual improvement, as well as undertaking forward planning to ensure the continued smooth running of services and the effective introduction of new services. This will include meeting defined business strategies and standards through the effective management of resources internally and working collaboratively with partners to maximise resources. You will also create and maintain effective partnerships within the local authority, with stakeholders and community groups, to ensure local community needs are met, where possible, by the Library Service.
As a member of the Library Service management team, you will be critical in implementing a centrally driven service, which is locally managed through the individual libraries within the geographical remit. You will also take responsibility for a portfolio of particular service activities and be accountable for collaborative delivery. You will be highly influential in developing the future shape of the service and supporting the wider Directorate and Corporate priorities and overcoming the challenges this presents.
Experience and Skills
- Ability to make sound pragmatic problem-solving decisions, which will have a wider service impact. The ability to analyse and make judgements based on principles to tackle difficult problems of a technical, professional, resource or people related nature.
- Sound partnership working skills including the successful co-ordination of partners to deliver objectives.
- Ability to challenge existing practices and identify innovative solutions.
- Excellent communication and people management skills with ability to successfully influence and persuade others and negotiate effective business solutions.
- Project management skills including the ability to apply project management principles and practices to complex issues.
Qualifications and/or experience:
- Post graduate professional qualification relevant either to management or to the professional service specialism; or equivalent level of significant experience demonstrating comprehensive application of the above levels of knowledge in a relevant setting.
- Relevant chartered status of a professional body (Chartered Librarian) or equivalent high-level experience of involved practices.
- Detailed practical knowledge of complex theories including relevant technical knowledge to formulate and develop policies, processes and guidance.
- Sound practical and theoretical knowledge of the political environment of local government and partner organisations.
- Sound and accurate IT knowledge eg Microsoft Office.
- Expert relevant experience in specialist area, including sound relevant operational experience.
- Significant post-qualification experience in dealing with significant and complex issues.
- Experience of delivering or co-ordinating a quality service to others.
- Experience of managing / leading staff.
- Experience of managing a budget and contributing to financially related decisions on high level spending.
- Exposure to shaping and supporting initiatives in a political environment -
Rewards and Benefits
As an employer we recognise that it is our employees that are central to everything we do. We aim to create a supportive and dynamic working environment where employees can achieve their full potential, achieve a healthy work-life balance and are rewarded for the work they do.
Aside from 29 days annual leave, you will also have access to a full list of the benefits offered to you as a West Sussex County Council employee you can find them on our Rewards and Benefits page.
The reference number for this role is EIE00782.
For issues or queries regarding your application please contact .
To apply, upload your CV and complete the application explaining the skills and experience you can bring to the role ensuring that any gaps in employment are covered in your CV. Please ensure you have saved the job description attached to the main advert on our website as, once the job has closed, you may not have the opportunity to download again.