Nature Conservation Apprenticeship Pathway
Salary: £19,802 p.a.
Location: Islington Council,
Hours : 35 hours per week
Islington Council offers a wide range of high quality Apprenticeship Pathways that combine working in a great job, comprehensive training and development opportunities, and a competitive salary.
The Nature Conservation Apprenticeship Pathway consists of a two year opportunity to build on your interest in nature and your desire to work outdoors and apply your ‘can-do’ attitude whilst working towards a Level 2 Country Worker qualification. Following the initial application process, the successful applicant will join Islington Council’s Nature Conservation Team, where you will work to help manage and maintain our three nature reserves and Islington Ecology Centre. This role will involve working outdoors in all weather conditions and regular physical activity.
The Nature Conservation Team oversees the management of Gillespie Park, Barnsbury Wood and Parkland Walk as well as running the Ecology Centre for environmental education and community activities. The team has expertise in managing the natural environment for both wildlife and people and in the delivery of specialist activities which are designed to meet the needs of our residents. Working as part of a friendly and well-respected team, your role will be varied and rewarding.
The Job - Working as a Nature Conservation Apprentice for the Council you will:
- Work both alone and as part of a team to help maintain the nature reserves for both wildlife and people
- Work with volunteers to help them carry out gardening and nature conservation tasks
- Help with tasks in the Ecology Centre
- Help to run events, such as community apple days or sessions for school children.
- Develop strong professional relationships with your own team and with others we work alongside and to whom we provide services.
Training and Development – Within your role you will:
- Complete a Level 2 Countryside Worker training course funded by the Council. This will involve attendance at a college and/or completing tasks in the workplace (depending on specific course requirement) and will provide both practical and theory-based qualifications;
- Join the Apprenticeship Pathway personal and professional development programme that will involve a series of varied development activities and events throughout your year with the Council
Working in Islington Council
We appreciate and value our employees and recognise the importance of a motivated and supported workforce. We will support your development through the activities mentioned above and through the ongoing support of your manager and a mentoring programme. In addition to the competitive salary and excellent annual leave package the organisation offers a wide range of benefits such as; discounted gym memberships and cycle schemes, discounted theatre tickets and local discounts from restaurants and shops.
After you have successfully completed your Apprenticeship Pathway you will have gained valuable workplace experience and attained a professional qualification which will improve your chances of finding work either within the Council or with another employer or help you move on to a higher level apprenticeship elsewhere. You will have networked across the Council and be aware of the internal job market during your time with us and we will provide support on your approach to the wider job market as part of your development programme.
The Nature Conservation Apprenticeship Pathway is ideal for those who enjoy working outdoors and are passionate about caring for the environment. This role will suit someone who genuinely loves nature and wants to pursue a career in environmental conservation work.
To apply for this apprenticeship, you must be:
- aged 16 or above and
- unemployed (or working no more than 16 hours)
- an Islington resident or Islington care leaver or a student at an Islington secondary school student currently or within the last 12 months.
- Not currently be qualified in Countryside Worker at Level 2 or above
Closing Date: 28th February 2021
Assessment Day: to be decided
Apprenticeship Start Date: to be decided
As part of the recruitment process you must also meet the course entry requirements of the apprenticeship and this may result in further assessments undertaken by the training provider.
If you are an Islington resident who would like support with your application please contact the iWork Team on 020 7527 3559 or email iWork@islington.gov.uk