Clerk of Works
£45,834 - £48,819 pa
Newham is perhaps the youngest, most diverse and vibrant local authority in the UK. We are transforming how the Council works to put people at the heart of everything we do and to create better homes and neighbourhoods for our residents. This includes using our major land holding to build the most ambitious Council housebuilding programme in 40 years and focusing investment in our town centres to rebuild after the current crisis.
Over the last decade, Newham has already seen an unprecedented amount of external investment and growth in population, with c.7,500 people joining the borough in 2019 alone. However, despite this, Newham still has some of the poorest neighbourhoods in the country.
To address this head on, we have pledged to deliver 38,000 new homes and 100,000 jobs across the borough, with a commitment to start building over 1,000 new Council homes specifically for social rent by 2022; and have the second highest housing target of any London borough.
About Community Wealth Building
Newham is an ambitious Council looking to be on the front foot in collaborating with its residents and businesses to create a flourishing place. We are adopting a community Wealth Building agenda, underpinned by the principles of economic, social and environmental justice so that long-term prosperity, wellbeing and fairness for all our residents in the borough is achieved and our response to the Climate Emergency is progressed.
Community Wealth Building is an exciting combination of creating the right conditions for residents and businesses to flourish: a stable home, a better neighbourhood, affordable workspace and the skills and access to opportunities to ensure that residents and businesses can make the most of the huge changes that are happening in the borough. We have one of the most ambitious house-building and regeneration programmes in the UK underpinned by significant land ownership, political support, and external and internal sources of funding.
About the role
To support the Senior Construction Manager in providing a clerk of works function for new build housing, major works, capital refurbishments and other associated building projects.
To work across the housing delivery team assisting clients and Construction Delivery Managers in overseeing the quality and safety of work on a construction site, making sure that building plans and specifications are being followed correctly.
Establish and maintain relationships with employer’s agents, designers, contractors and developers etc. to construct new affordable housing. To work with contactors and consultants and other external stakeholders to deliver building construction projects in line with the Council’s procedural, legal and external audit requirements ensuring a quality product in all schemes and to the high quality expected by the Council and our residents.
To be considered for this position, you will have the following experience:
· Leading on the inspection of works on building sites, ensuring alignment with original designs and specifications. This includes pre and post work inspections and condition surveys, managing works to ensure completion to high design, build and health and safety standards.
· Carrying out checks on materials to ensure high quality and advice on alternatives or resolutions if necessary.
· Checking that all elements of construction are in accordance with the relevant regulations, Codes of Practice, British Standards and the Contract Documents; with specific attention given to fire safety.
· Managing a diary of activities related to projects including: labour count, works sheets, delays, visitors to the site, inspectors, sub-contractors on site and weather conditions impacting on daily schedules.
· Preparing weekly reports on the general progress of works, labour force and weather for distribution to client and Contract Administrator and others as required.
· Raising and managing queries on the drawings and specifications and discussing any discrepancies between specifications and measured items in the contract documents. Accompanying inspectors from statutory agencies reporting results and monitoring implementation of any corrective actions
If you can match our ambition and have the skills, resilience and experience to make a difference, we want to hear from you.
Closing Date 28.2.21
Please view Clerk of Works Job Description
The London Borough of Newham is a Disability Confident employer. Candidates who declare that they have a disability in accordance with the Equality Act 2010 and meet the essential criteria as specified in the Job Profile will be guaranteed an interview.
Priority consideration on all advertised roles will be given to London Borough of Newham Redeployees.
The London Borough of Newham is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children, young people and vulnerable groups and expects staff and volunteers to share this commitment.
Please be aware that a Disclosure and Barring Scheme (DBS) check will be required for any position with access to these groups under the provision of the Rehabilitation of Offenders Act 1974.
In addition, the Authority reserves the right to request employees undertake a basic disclosure check (Disclosure Scotland) where required for the role this includes anyone who has access to (or information obtained directly from) a government database, or has a GCSX account. These posts will be required to have a Basic Disclosure Scotland check as per the requirements of BPSS (Baseline Personnel Security Standards).
Please attach your supporting statement, explaining in no more than x2 A4 sides why and how you meet the criteria for this role.