West Sussex County Council (WSCC) is a diverse organisation that provides services to more than 850,000 residents every day. Our teams use their experience to enable and challenge the Council to deliver improved efficiency and effectiveness.
Leading the local fight against man-made climate change may just be the biggest task we've ever undertaken. Our communities look to us to take a lead in dealing with this challenge and we need you to help us deliver on this expectation.
Our ambitious and award-winning programme of major renewable energy projects (including solar farms, rooftop solar and battery storage projects) and energy saving initiatives in our own buildings (such as lighting and heating upgrades) has also shown that doing the right thing can help councils to make ends meet. We also deliver projects with neighbouring authorities that help our communities to 'do the right thing' for the climate, such as switching to renewable energy.
The money we make from our energy projects supports our critical services to help some of the most vulnerable in our society.
For more information about West Sussex County Council, please visit our website.
About The Job
Salary: £18,562 - £18,933 per annum
Working Pattern: Full time, 37 hours per week (7.4 hours per week of this will be undertaking apprenticeship online training with London Metropolitan College)
Contract Length: Fixed term, 3 - year Apprenticeship
Location: Chichester, County Hall (Travel to sites across West Sussex and surrounding areas is expected)
Interview date: 15, 16 or 17 March 2021
An apprenticeship is a flexible role that involves working alongside colleagues to provide a customer-focused service to residents and partners. During your apprenticeship training and work experience, you will learn a range of skills and have the opportunity to take responsibility for aspects of the team's work, some of which may be relatively complex, and complete it within timescales and to a competent standard.
As our new Energy Projects Support Officer, you will provide vital support to the Energy Services Team at every stage of project delivery including initiation and design, governance, stakeholder engagement, procurement and delivery. You'll support the team with project research, analyse and interpret information, and help to plan and problem solve based on the needs of the client/project team. You will also take on the project control role for the team, working to improve and streamline administrative tasks and taking the lead on improving the team's business processes. You'll help us to uphold our responsibilities under Health & Safety regulations and ensure our partners, including colleagues, contractors and clients, understand and implement the same standards.
In this flexible role you will be a key supporting member of the Energy Services Team, building relationships and motivating colleagues, monitoring targets and objectives and improving skills with ongoing training and development. Through your own ongoing training and development, you will build knowledge and help the team to remain abreast of government legislation, policies and guidance and energy-related industry news.
You will undertake and complete the various modules of the Project Controls Technician Advanced Apprenticeship as delivered by London Metropolitan College including (a) a National Vocational Qualification (NVQ) at Level 3, (b) a Business Administration Certificate, (c) Functional Skills, and (d) Employment Responsibilities & Rights. London Metropolitan College offer online learning and the course will be delivered using online virtual classrooms. You will work with an assessor to develop a work-based portfolio, undertake work-based assessments, completing all assignments/projects relating to the apprenticeship framework and presenting evidence portfolios for assessment within specified timeframes. The apprenticeship will be undertaken over a three-year period. More information can be found here - www.londonmetropolitan.college/project-controls-technician
Provisions will be made for you to be able to work from home where necessary due to current circumstances in relation to Covid-19. You may be required to attend sites across West Sussex and the surrounding areas in the course of your work while observing the County Council's Covid safe working practices.
Experience and Skills
- Good written and oral communication skills, including the ability to communicate technical information in a way that is appropriate to different audiences, and communication and interpersonal skills that allow you to develop and maintain relationships with a wide range of stakeholders and deliver excellent customer service.
- Strong numerical and analytical skills and a practical approach to interpreting technical information and managing data (source, retrieve, check, edit, format, record).
- An interest and ability to learn how to use specific, complex software tools to undertake a wide range of project tasks e.g. energy management software.
- Ability to manage your own time and assist with project management tasks from early feasibility through to full design and implementation including planning and monitoring of schemes, managing risk and reporting on progress and lessons learnt.
- A flexible approach with ability to remain calm when under pressure and be able to switch work between competing needs during the course of a day.
- Ability to work in accordance with company management systems, policies and procedures, especially those relating to quality, data security, risk, change and document management and understand the importance of applying safety in the context of the role by complying with relevant national and international health, safety and environmental requirements.
Qualifications and/or experience:
- Five GCSE passes at grade C or above (ideally including English and Maths) or equivalent vocational qualification, for example, Level 2 Intermediate Apprenticeship (you will need to provide evidence of your GCSEs grades including English and Maths).
- Sound IT knowledge, Microsoft Office applications including Outlook, Word, Excel, PowerPoint. Experience of the Microsoft Teams platform and SharePoint would also be beneficial.
- Some experience of providing a service to others.
- Some experience of successfully working as part of a team in order to effectively meet objectives or deliver a goal within agreed timescales (either in a job or an extra-curricular activity e.g. Duke of Edinburgh) - Desirable
Rewards and Benefits
We recognise that it is our employees that are central to everything we do. We aim to create a supportive and dynamic working environment where employees can achieve their full potential, achieve a healthy work-life balance and are rewarded for the work they do.
Aside from 23 days annual leave, you will also have access to a full list of the benefits offered to you as a West Sussex County Council employee you can find them on our Rewards and Benefits page.
The reference number for this role is EIE00764.
For an informal conversation or for further information regarding the role, please contact Chloe Chatfield (Resourcing Advisor) . For issues or queries regarding your application please contact .
To apply, upload your CV and complete the application explaining the skills and experience you can bring to the role ensuring that any gaps in employment are covered in your CV. Please ensure you have saved the job description attached to the main advert on our website as, once the job has closed, you may not have the opportunity to download again.
We are committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children, young people and vulnerable adults
This post is subject to satisfactory references, health check.
West Sussex County Council is an equal opportunities employer committed to promoting an environment that is inclusive and free from all forms of unlawful or unfair discrimination and values the diversity of its people. We actively welcome applications from people of all backgrounds and take every possible step to ensure that no individual will be disadvantaged.
For information regarding your eligibility to apply for this role under our Disability or Veteran's Guaranteed Interview Scheme, this can be found on our application help page.
Note for Recruitment Agencies: We prefer to hire people directly, but we do have a supplier list for when we need a helping hand. We'll be in touch directly if we need you!
Resourcing team purposes only: Internal only: CC