Portsmouth City Council is committed to ensuring it complies with the Data Protection Act, Freedom of Information Act and the Environmental Information Regulations. The Information Governance Team is responsible for leading and co-ordinating the activities of the Council to ensure its compliance.
As a service, we take pride in our work by valuing others, focusing on what's important so that we make a real and positive difference. Our values are outlined in our Ways of Working and our Guiding Principles and if they reflect how you are and how you work then this could be the role that meets your expectations.
What is the role?
Reporting to the Data Protection /Corporate Information Governance Officer, you will be the key point of contact for all matters relating to the Freedom of Information Act, Environmental Information Regulations and General Data Protection Regulation/Data Protection Act. You will
- Manage and respond to requests from the public for information under the relevant legislation, on behalf of both the Council, Portsmouth NHS Clinical Commissioning Group and Solent Local Enterprise Partnership
- Have responsibility for engaging relevant exemptions/exceptions to disclosure where applicable and issuing responses, referring only the most complex matters to the Data Protection/Corporate Information Governance Officer.
- Provide advice and assistance on all aspects of Information Governance to officers at all levels, elected members, schools, the Portsmouth NHS Clinical Commissioning Group, Solent Local Enterprise Partnership, other external partners and members of the public
- Assist in the development of relevant policies, procedures and training
- Deliver training when required.
Each request for information or advice will be different, but will need to be dealt with in the context of the relevant legislation. There will be scope for the post-holder to interpret situations and apply their own judgement. The role is a unique role demanding independence and integrity without compromise with respect to information governance and access.
You will advise on the lawful sharing of personal data both internally and with the Council's external partners (for example under the Portsmouth Information Sharing Framework), assisting in the drafting of Data Protection Impact Assessments, Information Sharing/Operational Agreements and Privacy Notices when required.
You will be involved in the work required across the Authority to ensure it remains compliant with all of the relevant legislation.
Who is the person?
You need to:
- Ideally have a Practitioner Certificate in Freedom of Information or similar accredited qualification, but must have significant experience of working within Information Governance in the Public Sector. This must include handling requests for information under the Data Protection Act, Freedom of Information Act and Environmental Information Regulations.
- Have the ability to interpret and apply the relevant legislation to the Council as a Unitary Authority.
- Be an effective communicator with good influencing skills and have the ability to engage colleagues at all levels and external partners, in order to comply with our statutory duty under the legislation.
- Have experience of policy development & writing and delivering training.
Have excellent Customer Service skills with the ability to deal with challenging situations and high volumes of work.
- Have the ability to work independently and have good problem solving skills, being able to prioritise and manage a varied workload within tight statutory deadlines.
- Have the ability to pay attention to detail as you will often be required to read through large volumes of information and be able to apply the relevant legislation to ensure only the correct information is disclosed.
- Have the ability to maintain a high degree of integrity and trust whilst dealing with sensitive and confidential information.
- Have the ability to use basic IT packages (Microsoft Office including outlook/ excel/word and databases).
- Have the ability to converse at ease with customers and provide advice in accurate spoken and written English.
If you have any questions, or would like an informal discussion about the role, please call Helen Magri on 023 9268 8482 (Wednesday to Friday)