Are you a pro-active, motivated and confident individual who is seeking a challenging role with good career prospects? If the answer is “yes” then we’d like to hear from you to ‘kick start’ our new asset strategy programme.
Over the last 2 years, the Council has undergone a Transformation Programme making the largest changes this organisation has ever seen. Driving this is the need to make ever increasing cost savings, including from within the Council’s property holdings, while becoming more agile to best serve the borough.
The Council’s asset strategy, including the basis for acquiring or developing assets, is the accountability of the Asset Management team and will drive the direction and create the fundamental need for significant regeneration programmes, which will form part of the Council’s asset strategy programme.
We are seeking an Asset and Property Manager to join the Asset Management team on a two-year contract with a responsibility to initially review our whole estate to identify opportunities to optimise use or gain additional value from it, whether by potential redevelopment, intensification or disposal; and to prepare business cases and lead on acquisitions of new properties.
What’s in it for you?
We are a diverse organisation delivering a wide range of services and employing people with an even broader range of skills. We want to attract the best, so we provide excellent training opportunities, including support towards professional qualifications. We also offer well established flexible working arrangements including the ability to vary your start and finish times, and work from home on occasion. We also offer many other benefits including health and wellbeing initiatives, an employee assistance programme and discount off a range of well-known high street shops and supermarkets.
What you’ll do on a typical day:
- Lead a strategic review of all assets; reviewing their performance, requirements, and opportunities for improvement, and identifying key assets for closer examination within the strategy programme
- Review in greater detail key assets that would form part of a project for consideration, examining the extent of potential savings to be made and deliverability where such projects would involve disposing, improving, developing and/or acquiring assets
- Review business cases of existing projects already underway including approved, provisional and speculative schemes across a range of client service plans, a number of which involve buying land
- Develop strategic and outline business cases of new projects to examine potential redevelopment, intensification or rationalisation of major operational assets including opportunities to acquire new assets to help unlock capital value
- Lead on key property acquisition and disposal transactions either directly or through appointed consultants
- Collaborate with service teams utilising operational buildings, the Asset Management investment team and the corporate programme delivery team as specialist advisor whilst maintaining communication with key councillors to ensure clear understanding of any proposed changes to assets
- Work with the Head and Deputy Head of Asset Management to develop and coordinate an action plan to inform the Council's capital and investment strategy, including the preparation of any reports or briefings on projects
- Monitor progress of the asset strategy programme in liaison with Council’s corporate governance team
What you need to succeed in this role:
At a minimum, you will be able to demonstrate:
- Good commercial property development skills and experience
- Experience of leading property acquisition and disposal transactions
- Good working knowledge of asset management working practices and methodologies
- Proven experience of appraising assets against strategic and commercial targets
- Proven experience of developing and writing business cases
- Experience of working collaboratively with internal and external clients
- Proven experience of producing reports, presenting clear information to others verbally and in writing
- Excellent interpersonal skills and confidence in dealing with people at all levels
- Conscientious attitude and attention to detail
- Excellent standard of numeracy and literacy
- IT skills
- Ability to work as part of a team
It would be great if you also have:
- Experience in producing and implementing asset management plans
- Experience of developing business cases using the HM Treasury recommended approach (the Green Book)
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity. All employment decisions are made on the basis of qualifications, merit and business need. Our organisation is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children, young people and vulnerable adults, and expects all staff and post-holders to share this commitment. To fulfil this commitment we have robust systems in place for the safe recruitment of staff and volunteers.
Guildford is a regional centre for leisure, business, education, shopping and culture set in beautiful countryside that includes the Surrey Hills Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty. Guildford is a thriving market town and is a principal shopping destination with a vibrant night time economy. The town’s geographical location provides excellent transport links in all directions, London is just 30 minutes away on the train and the town is well-served by frequent bus routes and subsidised Park and Ride facilities. All of this contributes to a quality of life that attracts many people to live, work in and visit Guildford.
A basic DBS check will be required for the successful candidate prior to appointment.